We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about their mom's best beauty and style tips. Here’s what they had to say:
Please note: Consult a doctor before making any huge changes to your diet or routine.
1. If you want your baby to grow up to have thick, healthy hair, drinking coconut water while you're pregnant may help.
2. Taking a bath with essential oils can help you relax and reduce stress-induced acne.
"Pamper yourself with a hot bath with essential oils once a week. Apparently the hot water clears up your skin, and it also helps you to relax, which results in less stress-related wrinkles and acne. I suffer from really bad stress-induced acne, so I like to use lavender oils and it has honestly helped me so much! I definitely recommend following my mother's advice, if you suffer from any stress-induced skin problems." —catsienna03
3. A toothbrush and hairspray can become your new eyebrow kit.
"My mother is a makeup artist and she swears by this simple hack: take a toothbrush dedicated to beauty purposes, spray a little hairspray on it, and then use it to shape eye brows and slick down hairs without them being crunchy. She once got in trouble at a the store she worked at because she told a customer who wanted to buy an expensive brow kit about it." —justineh439e13e5f
4. Need an eye cream and healthy lashes? Just get some Vaseline!
5. Olive oil can be great for salads...and removing makeup.
"Always use olive oil to take off your makeup! When I started wearing makeup I would get really frustrated that there was still makeup leftover after going IN with a makeup remover wipe and she said to use about a nickel size amount of olive oil! For three reasons: It completely removes all the makeup, it doesn’t leave your face feeling like it’s dry and oily at the same time, and because it allegedly helps prevent wrinkles from forming. I don't know about the last one but it completely removed my makeup and I wasn’t breaking out." —laurenbrownjpg
6. If putting olive oil on your face scares you, you can baby oil instead.
"My mother used baby oil to take off her eye makeup her entire life. She’ll be 60 in June and looks like she’s still in her early 40s! Take off your makeup and stay out of the sun, everyone." —nicole
7. Good quality products will be better in the long run, so invest in yourself.
8. Coconut oil will fix your credit score, clear your skin, and make you inmune to the effects of mercury retrograde.
"Coconut oil for bruises, sprained ankles, rashes, hair... literally everything. Coconut oil and kombucha for bug bites, which I'm not sure counts as a beauty tip but REALLY helps decrease pain and swelling." —iLeftMyHeartInNarnia
9. Never forget to wear earrings with your outfit.
"This is my grandmother's thing: never leave the house without earrings on. Don't know why, but apparently she never let my mother go out without them and to this day she never does. I never do either but that's because I have multiple piercings and I've had to get my lobes resowed three times." —Anonymous
11. Sometimes, beauty isn't beautiful.
"My mom’s number one rule when I was growing up was beauty is pain." —Gabrielle3493
12. Protect your skin from the sun ALWAYS!
"Sunscreen! All the time, everyday. Also hats. Basically her motto is protect your skin at all costs. She uses moisturizer with sunscreen everyday and always brings a hat if she knows she'll be outside for a while. It works! At 59 she barely has a wrinkle." —georgiam4db829e1e
13. A large glass of hot water with a splash of rose water will have you looking fab at 50 and 75.
14. Bathe in Aquaphor if you want to wake up with flawless skin.
15. Undergarments matter! Make sure you're wearing the right kind.
"Clothing comes in all sorts of different cuts. So do bras and underpants. Nothing can throw off a look like panties cutting in to your muffin top in a form fitting dress or an errant bra strap in a sleeveless/backless/low-cut top." —wilsonklh
16. Rub your moisturizer in an upwards motion to keep your skin from sagging.
17. If you want to look taller, dress in the same color from head to toe.
"My mom was watching some talk show and they had a guest speaker mention how if you’re short you should wear the same color to appear taller. She took it too literally and would wear the same shade, shoes to headwear." —Brett
18. Moisturizing every morning and night is a must!
"My mom always told me to use a morning and evening moisturizer. She suggested Olay, but I’ve been using Clinique since I was 12. I’m 27 now, and everyone swears I look no older than 20. Take care of your face and body!" —samm470d2f877