The Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, is a massive, secret trade agreement being negotiated behind the backs of Congress and the American people. Here’s what you need to know about the treaty between the United States and 11 Pacific Rim nations, if it’s ratified:
2. And welcoming back Wall Street predators.
In the wake of the devastating 2008 financial crisis, we took steps to rein in Wall Street in an effort to prevent another economic meltdown. But the TPP would provide Big Banks a backdoor to roll back these regulations and “export internationally, the model of extreme financial service deregulation that most analysts consider a prime cause of the global financial crisis.”
3. This deal will crush Internet freedom.
Ding, dong the witch … isn’t dead. Thought SOPA and PIPA were bad? Many of the same special interests that pushed for those failed bills are now trying to use this international treaty to write stringent copyright laws that would “adversely affect that ability of creators to create content, the ability of technology companies to make innovative products, and that ability of users to use content in new ways.”
4. It will destroy environmental protections.
Corporations like Exxon Mobil and Dow Chemical have already used similar free trade agreements to attack common-sense environmental laws and regulations, such as protecting communities and the environment from harmful chemicals. In addition, the TPP would increase dirty fracking.
5. Foreign governments will undermine US food safety standards, rules and regulations.
The TPP would subject our food standards, labeling programs and specific-pesticide regulations to challenge by foreign governments. At the same time, poor food safety regulations overseas would put Americans at risk.
6. Drug prices will skyrocket.
Access to life saving drugs would become scarce, while the profits of big pharmaceutical companies soar. Corporations are working hard to insure that the TPP extends their patent based monopolies. This would expand their profits, keep drug prices artificially high and leave millions of people without access to life saving drugs.
7. The TPP will speed up the outsourcing of U.S. call center jobs.
The TPP will include an expansion of corporate rights that will make it safer to invest offshore and will relax service sector rules in order to guarantee access to multi-national corporations for cross border services. That means we can expect US corporations to ship even more call center jobs overseas.
8. The TPP is FOREVER.
The TPP is not really about trade, but a mechanism to make the world “safe” for corporate investment and mobility. Once the TPP is signed, unlike domestic laws, it would have no expiration date and could only be altered by a consensus of all signatories — locking in failed, extreme policies. Also, the TPP is intended as a “docking agreement,” allowing other Pacific Rim countries to join over time if accepted by the signatory countries. Canada and Mexico joined last year. And Japan joined shortly thereafter.
Find out what YOU can do to stop this monstrous trade agreement at StoptheTPP.org.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- We've compiled an extensive (but not exhaustive) list of lies, exaggerations, and bullshit from Trump's first 100 days in office 💯
- An admitted fraudster has access to Trump through his wife's job at Mar-a-Lago — and he's tried to use it to his advantage.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.
- Beginning in 2018, prescription drugs will be free for anyone under the age of 25 in Ontario, Canada, government says.