1. He DOWNGRADED the papal throne
Instead, he sits in a simple chair that puts him at the same level as everyone else. Like, actually, who is this guy?
4. Two of the Inmates were WOMEN
This actually breaks liturgical law, which bans women from participating in this ritual. Also, one of the women was a Serbian Muslim. Allowing a non-catholic to participate has never been done before and angered many.
6. He Shuns the Popemobile
Much to the dismay of the Swiss Guard and the Vatican police, the Pope likes to get out of the Popemobile and greet people face to face. His bodyguards are all like “FRANCIS, you’re in danger” and he’s like “whatevs, God will protect me.”
8. He wants to bring the Church to ‘Ordinary’ People
Look at him kiss this ‘ordinary’ baby! Pope Francis preaches about helping the poor, and his name “Francis” is after St. Francis, the servant to the poor. Catholics don’t like this because the Pope traditionally represents the “High Church.” HOW DARE Francis go against the high church?!?
11. He turned down a gift from Monsignor Guido Marini
Monsignor Guido Marini offered Pope Francis a gold pectoral cross, much like the one Pope Benedict wore. Since Marini was close to Benedict, it was a nice gesture. Francis raised eyebrows the world ‘round when he refused the gift. Who turns down expensive jewelry??
12. He wants Catholics and Muslims to get along
Pope Francis has called for an “intensified” dialogue with Islam, something that has rubbed Catholic traditionalists the wrong way because they see it as a sign of religious relativism. Pope Francis just wants everyone to be friends!!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classics including "Twister" and "Titanic."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — it's been reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲