1. He DOWNGRADED the papal throne
Instead, he sits in a simple chair that puts him at the same level as everyone else. Like, actually, who is this guy?
4. Two of the Inmates were WOMEN
This actually breaks liturgical law, which bans women from participating in this ritual. Also, one of the women was a Serbian Muslim. Allowing a non-catholic to participate has never been done before and angered many.
6. He Shuns the Popemobile
Much to the dismay of the Swiss Guard and the Vatican police, the Pope likes to get out of the Popemobile and greet people face to face. His bodyguards are all like “FRANCIS, you’re in danger” and he’s like “whatevs, God will protect me.”
8. He wants to bring the Church to ‘Ordinary’ People
Look at him kiss this ‘ordinary’ baby! Pope Francis preaches about helping the poor, and his name “Francis” is after St. Francis, the servant to the poor. Catholics don’t like this because the Pope traditionally represents the “High Church.” HOW DARE Francis go against the high church?!?
11. He turned down a gift from Monsignor Guido Marini
Monsignor Guido Marini offered Pope Francis a gold pectoral cross, much like the one Pope Benedict wore. Since Marini was close to Benedict, it was a nice gesture. Francis raised eyebrows the world ‘round when he refused the gift. Who turns down expensive jewelry??
12. He wants Catholics and Muslims to get along
Pope Francis has called for an “intensified” dialogue with Islam, something that has rubbed Catholic traditionalists the wrong way because they see it as a sign of religious relativism. Pope Francis just wants everyone to be friends!!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂