1. Atreyu was originally supposed to have green skin, like in the book.
2. Noah Hathaway, the actor who played Atreyu, actually had a really bad horse-riding accident just before shooting began.
He had to spend two months in the hospital recovering from a crushed vertebra after a horse fell on top of him.
3. There were two Falkor, the Luck Dragon, models built; one had a head weighing over 200 pounds.
4. Also, it took about 25 people to puppeteer Falkor altogether.
The director, Wolfgang Peterson, commented, "One person was responsible for operating Falkor’s nose, one for eyebrows, one for the upper lip, and one for the lower lip."
5. Tami Stronach, who played the Childlike Empress, lost two teeth before filming and had to wear fake teeth, aka flippers for the shoot.
6. The scenes in the Swamps of Sadness took two months to film...
And that was only a fraction of the entire film shoot, which lasted a whole year.
7. ...and at a cost of $130,000 a day!
The swamp was made entirely inside a soundstage at Bavaria Film Studios.
8. One person, actor Alan Oppenheimer, actually provided the voice of Falkor, Rockbiter, G'mork (the wolf), and the narrator.
He's also known for providing the voice of He-Man's nemesis, Skeletor.