Very soon after the disappearance of AirAsia Indonesia Flight QZ8501 was reported, people on social media were too eager to find "patterns" between these and Malaysia Airlines Flights MH370 and MH17, which both went down earlier this year.
1. There were 111 airline crashes in 2014, with 8 incidents involving commercial aircraft.
2. AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines are two separate & unconnected airlines; QZ8501 was run by an Indonesian associate.
3. In contrast to MH370 and MH17, the pilot and co-pilot of QZ8501 were Indonesian and French.
4. We know what happened to MH17, and have a better idea of what happened to QZ8501.
5. About 83 planes have been declared "missing" since 1948.
6. Trying to find a pattern likely involves a statistical fallacy.
7. QZ8501 and MH370 didn't even disappear from radar near each other.
8. You are still more likely to die on the road than in flight.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!