Leelah Alcorn, who died on December 28, asked that the money sold from her belongings be donated to trans civil rights organizations.
Discussions across the Internet, including Twitter, Tumblr, Metafilter, Autostraddle, and others have included links to trans rights organizations worldwide that people can donate to in Leelah's memory.
Here are some of the many, many organizations out there that are doing critical and amazing work for trans people worldwide.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to share!
1. The Leelah Project (U.S.-based; may support internationally)
2. Trans Lifeline (U.S. and Canada)
3. TransOhio (U.S.)
4. PBKS Center, Chow Kit (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
5. Trans* care at Mazzoni Center (Pennsylvania, U.S.)
7. TransTech Social Enterprise (Illinois, U.S.)
8. Gender DynamiX (South Africa)
9. Trans Youth Support Network (Minnesota, U.S.)
10. Asociación Silueta X (Ecuador)
11. Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER) (U.S.)
12. Blue Diamond Society (Nepal)
13. Casa Ruby (Washington D.C., U.S.)
14. TransInterQueer e.v. (TRIQ) (Berlin, Germany)
15. Trans Youth Equality Foundation (TYEF) (Maine, U.S.)
16. Sahodari (Tamilnadu, India)
17. Heartland Trans* Wellness Group (Midwest U.S.)
18. Thai Transgender Alliance (ThaiTGA) (Thailand)
19. TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA) (U.S.)
20. Trans Media Watch (U.K.)
21. TGI Justice Project (TGIJP) (Bay Area, U.S.)
22. World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (International)
23. Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) (New York, U.S.)
24. Mermaids (U.K.)
25. TransActive Gender Center (Oregon, U.S.)
26. Zoe Belle Gender Centre (Victoria, Australia)
27. Camp Aranu'tiq (U.S.)
28. Gendered Intelligence (U.K.)
29. Trans Women of Color Collective (U.S.)
30. Agender N.Z. (New Zealand)
31. Chicago House (U.S.)
32. The Gender Centre Inc. (New South Wales, Australia)
33. Gender Spectrum (U.S.)
34. Global Action for Trans* Equality (GATE) (International)
36. Gender Matters (West Midlands, U.K.)
37. Trangender Foundation of America (Texas, U.S.)
39. Transgender Law Center (Bay Area, U.S.)
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!