We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A snuggle puppy stuffed toy with a "real feel" heartbeat for senior pets who struggle with anxiety. If your furry friend needs constant touch to feel content, having one of these snuggly toys will be an absolute game changer!
Some dogs get more than enough comfort from regular toys, but senior dogs may be the exception. The "real feel" heartbeat has two modes: 24-hour continuous use or eight-hour use with automatic shut-off. It comes with AAA batteries and a one-time use heat pack.
Promising review: "My 15-year-old Yorkie just lost his sister earlier this year and has been sad since. He was crying and barking when we weren’t home, so I decided to try this to help with his new separation anxiety. He took to it IMMEDIATELY. He snuggles up to it all day and I think the heartbeat actually makes him feel like he’s snuggling with a person/dog. I haven’t noticed him barking anymore when we are gone and this has seriously been a game changer for my little guy. Get this for your dog if they are struggling with senior separation anxiety.” —Abby quam
Get it from Amazon for $35.92+ (available in five colors).
2. Or a purr pillow so your senior cat can have anxiety relief, too. The gentle purring sound is soothing to old cats who experience anxiety, so why not provide a little extra comfort to your aging feline friend?
The touch-activated purr pillow is available as a blue sloth or a purple kitty. Petstages offers other soothing toys, including a unicorn with a microwavable pouch for warmth and a glow-in-the-dark mouse that contains catnip!
Promising review: "My fur baby is actually 15-years-old. From a kitten up until 15-years-old, she always yowls at night or when there's no human/pet to cuddle next to. Because of her separation anxiety, she also vomits and cries. Since we got this partner for her, she has slowed down on her vomiting and now has a cuddle partner at night. Add a little cat nip and she feels like she's in heaven. Highly recommend for anyone's fur baby." —April
Get it from Amazon for $9.85+ (available in three styles and four colors).
3. A Thundershirt vest that applies gentle, constant pressure that'll feel like a hug when they need it most! Whether they're becoming more anxious as they age or they have environmental triggers such as loud noises, this jacket will help relieve anxiety and give your dog all the ~chill vibes~ they need.
Promising review: "We adopted our dog several years ago. We think he was 10 then. Recently, he’s getting some senior dementia. We’ve tried everything to console our senior Australian Shepherd. He’s 65 pounds so we started with a medium but it was just a little too snug. There’s plenty of Velcro to make it a little more snug or a little looser so the large was perfect. We’ve used it for at least a month now. This jacket has been a miracle worker. We put it on him just before dark. In a few minutes, he’s much calmer and he sleeps through the night most of the time. He’s only had a few episodes that were inconsolable but we’re getting a lot more sleep than we did for months! We love him so much, so this is such a relief. Thank you for giving us more time with our fur baby." —Mrs. Mac
Get it from Amazon for $39.95+ (available in sizes 2XS–2XL and two colors).
4. A nail scratch pad to help old dogs who simply *cannot* handle nail trims. Some elderly dogs become even more stubborn in their old age. It may take some practice to get your pup used to the scratch pad, but this is one new trick you'll DEF want to teach your old dog!
ScratchPad For Dogs is a small business in Atlanta. The owner was inspired to create this product after having plenty of firsthand experience with a dog that hates nail trims. The ScratchPad is available in different levels of coarseness
Promising review: "This item is game changing for nail trims and maintenance. I’ve had my older rescue for years and no amount of training, desensitization, or different tools made her tolerate getting her nails trimmed — until now. My dogs easily picked up using the scratch pad and are not bothered by it at all." —Jess
5. A dog paw washer for those older pups who are *extra* picky about you touching their paws. After some fun in the mud, you'll be thanking your lucky paws for this handy device. Add water, insert paw, and let the soft silicone bristles do the dirty work!
Promising review: "During the winter months, my backyard is a mess as the grass dies off and the ground becomes muddy. Every time my old girl went outside, she came back with dirty paws. I tried wet rags, a small storage box with a couple of inches of water, and even baby wipes. This device is small and easy to use. I keep it in my garage by the back door and at the ready. I wash all four paws and dry them with a paper towel in a couple of minutes. I wish I invented this simple effective paw cleaner." —Dave P.
Get it from Amazon for $11.48+ (available in three sizes, six colors, and two sizes with or without a lid).
6. A pack of anti-slip paw grips if your pet is slippin' and slidin' whenever they try to walk on hardwood floors or other tricky surfaces. The nontoxic, hypoallergenic adhesive is super strong *and* safe to use on your pet's paws.
These anti-slip paw grips are a great alternative for dogs who don't respond well to socks or booties on their paws. Many reviewers have stated that cutting these anti-slip paw grips to size and applying them to each individual paw pad is the key to success. It can make them easier to use and help them stay on the paw longer. Each pack comes with 48 pads, so you'll have 12 sets to use (if your dog has all four paws, that is).
Promising review: "I’m so incredibly happy that these were created. They have done wonders for our 85-lb dog who is 13-years-old. His hind legs are giving out on him and he can’t walk well on our hardwood floors anymore. These anti-slip paw grips are INCREDIBLE! They’re so easy to put on our boy while he’s sleeping. They are thin, easy to cut to size, and apply really well. They have given our boy the confidence to go up and down the stairs again. His back legs are more stable because he has the grip he needs on our wood floors. They don’t stay on too long but I don’t care. I would apply them every day if I had to. They usually last about 3 days. Thank you for making these!!!!" —D. Davis
Get it from Amazon for $20.95+ (available in two colors and six sizes).
7. A tin or tube of nose butter that'll treat that dry, crusty nose your old dog always seems to be dealing with. You can even choose a nose butter that is specifically made with your dog's breed in mind!
The Blissful Dog is a Minnesota-based business that makes an assortment of all-natural, organic products for pets (yes, cats included!). These handcrafted solutions range from nose butter to aromatherapy products to shampoos and conditioners.
Promising review: "This seller is great! My order was packaged with care and shipped quickly. The Pomeranian stickers holding the bubble wrap closed were such a sweet, unexpected touch. The nose and paw butters are great and exactly what my little old pommie lady needs. Thank you so much!" —Sarah Darling
8. And a paw soother stick for those doggos with paws that need some extra love. By the time they reach their golden years, your dog's paws have seen things. Lucky for you, it's nothing this all-natural paw soother can't handle!
Paw Soother is made with organic, vegan, and all-natural ingredients such as coconut oil, chamomile, mango butter, and cocoa butter. There are no artificial preservatives or harmful ingredients, so your pet will be safe if they take a few licks. Natural Dog Company offers several other products, including the powerhouse bundle with five healing balms that address various problems: You get the Paw Soother, Snout Soother, Skin Soother, PawTection, and Wrinkle Balm.
Promising review: "My 11-year-old boxer lost mobility in her back legs, & she had developed thick, yellow calluses on her pads. The paw soother stick was delivered seven days ago & I have applied it to my dog's paws once a day since. It smells great, it's buttery. It felt very soothing & it truly is. Today, after just one week, I noticed the calluses just flaking away. They had softened & were just falling off! It took me maybe 15min to easily rub all the calluses right off her pads without any pain or irritation. It was incredible. This stuff really works. I highly recommend giving this a try if your pet has THICK calluses." —Abbie
Get it from Amazon for $17.95 (also available in a trial size).
9. An all-natural shampoo bar because your old dog may be more prone to sensitive skin as they age. This shampoo will gentyle nourish and moisturize while also getting their coat ~so fresh and so clean clean~ without causing irritation.
Simply Sage Dog Treats is a small biz in Norcross, Georgia, that makes all-natural paw balms, skin salves, and shampoos for pets with allergies or skin conditions. Not to mention that all of these products are lick-safe!
Promising review: "I always use natural shampoos for my dogs, but my older one always seems to get itchy from all of them. Until now. This shampoo is amazing! Not only does it clean well and not cause itching after the bath, but it has also decreased her overall itchiness to almost nothing at all! AND her skin feels and looks so much healthier! Thank you so much for making such a wonderful product ❤️. I will definitely be back for more! 😄" —Jennifer
10. A washable pee pad for senior pets who don't always make it outside in time to do their business! The urge to go can come on fast for older animals, so reusable pee pads are worth investing in. They're machine washable, so you don't have to keep rebuying them *and* you'll reduce waste. Win-win!
Promising review: "I love the size and look of this pad. I have an old lady pug who at times cannot wait to go out and she always pees on the rug leading from my door. I have just replaced the rug with the pee pad and it works perfectly and it is cute too. I have washed and dried both with no issues." —Stacy
Get it from Amazon for $30.95+ (available in two shapes, three pack sizes, and 19 pee pad sizes).
11. A pack of reusable dog diapers if you don't want to deal with accidents around the house. These are also great if you're not a fan of pee pads. They're comfy, super absorbent, and have cute designs! What more could your diva dog need?
Promising review: "My 12-year-old rescue doggo has been peeing in the house (just can't seem to hold it). After ruling out infections or illness, the vet said, "she's just getting older and can't hold it." Instead of fencing her off into one room of the house, I researched diapers. These are PERFECT. They don't make any crinkle noises (she is very neurotic about sounds and feels) and they are SO super easy to put on (just gently pull the tail through the tail hole, pull up, and strap the velcro). The diaper holds a surprising amount of urine. Ripley is a "'chewer' and doesn't like her butt/tail touched, and honestly, I thought she would chew herself out of these. She has not even batted a pretty eyelash over wearing them. The designs are very cute, too. They are easily washable! The velcro is VERY strong and is holding up so well even after several washes! My senior girl is happy, and I'm no longer cleaning up a puddle of urine in the dining room several times a day!"—Mermaid Mara
Get it from Amazon for $15.49+ (available in four sizes and four colors/patterns).
12. Or a belly band for your senior male dog who's prone to accidents. These reusable belly bands are durable, comfortable, and machine washable. The padded inner liner and waterproof outer layer offer maximum protection so your good boy stays dry and happy.
Promising review: "We purchased these because our senior dog had started having accidents. For the sake of his comfort and our furniture, we decided it was time for a belly band. We purchased these in a size small and have not been disappointed. We like that they can go right in the washer (turn them inside out or they will pick up ALL the laundry lint). We would definitely recommend these for anyone with a male dog who needs some extra protection from leaks and accidents." —JKDVT
Get it from Amazon for $11.99+ (available in seven sizes and six colors).
13. A stain and odor eliminator because accidents happen *especially* with older pets in the home. Naturally, you want to take care of these problems ASAP! You can use this product on many surfaces, including carpet, furniture, floors, and clothing.
This stain and odor eliminator spray uses a chlorine-free and color-safe formula that is safe to use around pets and children. The natural enzymes in this product are activated on contact, which allows it to feed on ammonia crystals and organic matter until they're completely eliminated.
Promising review: "This is one product that really delivers. It was put to the test when our pup had several bouts of diarrhea on a cream/gray woven wool rug in our bedroom. The stains had several hours to soak in before we discovered them. I had to spray and blot with a towel multiple times, but the stains are virtually gone. The scent is pleasant and all traces of the nasty smell are gone. If you have an indoor pet, you NEED to buy this stuff. It cleans better than anything I’ve used before. The pictures speak for themselves." —msgrafix
Get it from Amazon for $14.98+ (available in two sizes).
14. A slow feeder dog bowl that'll help your senior pet slow down while eating. Even in their older years, some dogs can't help but inhale their food. Can you blame them? These bowls will manage their eating pace while encouraging them to work a bit harder for their food.
Promising review: "My dogs used to inhale everything in seconds. This bowl helps to slow them down and my senior dog no longer chokes and coughs after eating. The bowls go on the top rack of the dishwasher after dinner and are ready again the next day. Good product." —Oreo Cookie
Get it from Amazon for $8.00+ (available in five sizes and 13 styles ).
15. An adjustable dog bowl so you can make sure your senior citizen isn't straining their neck when they eat or drink! Whether you've got a small doggo or a huge one, this bowl will make mealtime even better.
Promising review: "My senior dog is having a hard time standing and her back end was sinking while eating from a bowl on the ground. These raised bowls help her stability while eating. The stainless-steel bowls are lightweight but easy to remove and clean. I like how the stand will fold up if we ever need to take it anywhere for travel with her." —Betsy Bruce
Get it from Amazon for $26.95.
16. An Evenflo soft and wide gate to keep your older pet out of certain areas in your home. Whether they get lost or they get into mischief, this mesh gate is soft enough that they won't hurt themselves yet sturdy enough to stay in place.
This gate is 27" tall and can be extended from 38" to 60" wide depending on how large the opening is that you're blocking off. I purchased this gate earlier this year when my senior dog started having seizures. He was already having trouble getting around and I noticed that he did better when he kept to the same general area. If you have an old dog who bumps into things, I cannot recommend this gate enough. It may not be strong enough to stand up against a 100-lb dog with tons of energy, but it does the job for my little elderly dude. My fav part is that no drilling is required. The pressure-mounted system works perfectly and doesn't leave any marks on my walls. It's easy to take up and down as needed.
Promising review: "We have a 58" opening to the studio in our house, but we didn't want to install doors and we need to keep the dog out. And, as you can probably guess, it's hard to find an easy-to-use blockade without installing complicated gate systems. So, this one was a welcome surprise. It extends to a full 60 inches and it's tall enough to keep the dog out, but short enough to step over. Plus, it's easy to put up and quick to take down. Oh... and, the best part: the mesh makes it easy for the dog to see me, so she doesn't think I've completely shut her out of my life." —JCAdmore
Get it from Amazon for $46.89.
17. A Furbo dog camera for keeping an eye on your cutie pie when you're away from home. This camera has treat-tossing abilities if your dog is feeling anxious and needs some interaction until your long-awaited return.
The Furbo dog camera offers tons of features that you won't find on other cheaper options such as a 160-degree wide-angle view, night vision, and real-time bark alerts. There's also an optional add-on subscription if you want access to even more features, including tracking specific dog activities, alerting you when a person comes into view, taking selfies when the dog is in front of the camera, and creating a 60-second doggie diary so you can see a fun highlight reel of your dog's day.
Promising reviews: "We have been using Furbo to check on our 15-year-old dachshund, Gucci, when we are away from home. During the last few months, Gucci has been showing signs of a deteriorating spirit and is moving less and less as he gets older. But with Furbo, not only we have been able to check on him to make sure he's doing well, but also encouraging him to move around and give him treats while we are away from home. Unlike other similar products, Furbo's treat tossing ability helps to grab Gucci's attention. We've found that the additional interaction does help to get Gucci out of his bed a bit more effectively than using the voice alone. Furbo definitely allows us to have peace of mind while we are away from Gucci. The design also looks nice so Furbo doesn't need to be a webcam that we normally want to hide." —Icecream
"We worry about our senior dog when we're away. With Furbo, we can check anytime! We even get notifications when she comes up and starts licking it and giving it some love in hopes she'll get a treat!" —B. Swygart
Get it from Amazon for $169.
18. A set of catnip-infused felted balls if you're looking for ways to keep your senior kitty active and engaged because what cat can refuse catnip? When the felted balls need more magic, return them to the tin to recharge with more catnip.
Simply B Vermont is a small business located in Montpelier, Vermont that carries a huge selection of toys and accessories for both cats and dogs. You can also get dog bandanas, catnip alternatives,
Promising review: "It's a struggle to get the obese senior cat I just adopted to exercise even a little bit, but when I whipped these out, she was running after them like a wild cat! 💪😺" —Mason Smith
19. A pill cutter so you can cut your senior pet's medication with ease! Whether you have a small pet who needs smaller doses of medication or you just need to make a huge pill a bit easier to swallow by halving it, you need this pill cutter in your life.
Promising review: "We bought this item for my dog since he was on medication requiring half of a pill or one-fourth of a pill to be cut and given to him. The pills were smaller than a thumbtack head and using a knife was painful. When we received the pill cutter, it was so much better. Definitely a lifesaver." —Sharon L. Floyd
Get it from Amazon for $3.99.
20. A bag of Greenies Pill Pockets to make medication time go much smoother. There are various flavors to choose from and you can even choose between Pill Pockets that are designed for capsules or tablets. Hide the treat inside, pinch it shut, and your wise guy will be none the wiser!
Promising review: "This product has helped so many pet owners that find themselves having to give their pet some medication. My little senior dog has to occasionally take a small, one-half tablet for her cough. The tablet is very small, but she can manage to eat her food and spit out the tiny half of a tablet. The Greenies can hide the pill and the taste is pleasing to my dog. Thank you." —Cookie
You can buy Greenies pill pockets for cats as well!
Get it from Amazon for $7.98+ (available in two pack sizes).