We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Glossier's Invisible Shield Daily sunscreen with 35 SPF — it's known for its lightweight, non-greasy formula that goes on clear and feels ~super~ smooth. Bonus points for no white cast!
This chemical suncreen is vegan, cruelty-free, and it contains no oxybenzone.
Promising reviews: "I bought this sunscreen right before I went to Vietnam. I wore it everyday and I never got even a slight sunburn. It is super lightweight and doesn't cause my skin to break out." —Sofia
"What I absolutely love about this product is you will never get a white cast when applying this. It is very easy to use. I normally apply in the morning before leaving and just when I’m about to drive home from work. It’s a little pricy for the amount you get but still worth it!" —Angela
Get it from Glossier for $25.
2. Or a bottle of Supergoop Unseen sunscreen, because who doesn't want their sunscreen to be unseen? This SPF 40 goes on clear and is perfect for wearing alone or under makeup.
This daily SPF is a chemical sunscreen that manages to be invisible, weightless, and scentless while still offering broad spectrum protection. It even helps filter out damaging blue light! It's also oil-free, reef-friendly, and packed with antioxidants. It's no wonder this happens to be a Supergoop! best-selling product.
Promising review: "I always hated sunscreen. Cakey, gave me breakouts, made my face white, clogged my pores... Not this baby. This is everything I ever dreamed of and more. I LOVE to put this on, it makes me so happy, from the consistency, to the color, to the way it feels on my fingers and then on my face. It is perfect. Haven't had a sunburn since I discovered it a year ago." —GA007
3. CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion to start your day off with plenty of sun protection. It's SPF 35 and contains hyaluronic acid and ceramides that'll leave your skin feeling hydrated. This lotion serves as both your moisturizer and your sunscreen. Hooray for one less step in your beauty routine!
This broad spectrum sunscreen uses a mix of both chemical and mineral UV filters (octinoxate and zinc oxide). The oil-free and fragrance-free formula won't clog pores and is suitable for sensitive skin.
Promising review: "This lotion is odorless and non-greasy. It moisturizes very nicely and, more importantly, it provides great sun protection. I have never gotten a sunburn on my face while using this product. I put it on once a day and it lasts, although I have never used it while swimming. For everyday use, I highly recommend this product, which is reasonably priced and does an excellent job of moisturizing and protecting the skin!" —Julie F.
Get it from Amazon for $14.62.
4. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Broad Spectrum SPF 60 that'll protect you from the sun without aggravating your skin. If you love a high SPF chemical sunscreen that's perfect for oily, acne-prone skin, prepare to be impressed.
Promising reviews: "I have been looking for a sunscreen that does not make me break out and I finally found it! Other sunscreens are too oily or make my skin break out. I have acne prone/oily skin. It doesn’t leave any white residue. I would recommend!" —Vicky
"This is a great face sunscreen. I needed something with higher SPF that I could layer with my normal moisturizer, and this has been great! It has a somewhat firmer texture when applying -- not silky smooth like a regular lotion -- but the coverage is fantastic without feeling heavy once it's on. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and my face feels great and sunburn free." —Shanshantastic
Get it from Target for $19.99.
5. Black Girl Sunscreen so you can say goodbye to unsightly white cast FOREVER! This SPF 30 sunscreen is made with jojoba and avocado for next-level moisture, so it's perfect for all the pool days and beach days in your future.
This chemical sunscreen is vegan, cruelty-free, and made with natural ingredients such as avocado, jojoba, cacao, and carrot juice. If you need more reasons to buy this sunscreen, it's also free of parabens, fragrances, oxybenzone, octinoxate, aluminum, and silicone.
Black Girl Sunscreen is a Black woman-owned brand based in Miami. The company's products are all cruelty-free and formulated without parabens.
Promising review: "The day has finally come. A fragrance free sunscreen that is effective, moisturizing, and will not wash out my tan skin?! Say LESS. I tried this out by taking it out for a day of paddle boarding in my swimsuit and absolutely NO sunburn! I am a Mexican-American woman with tan skin and I am absolutely in love with this stuff. I dreaded using sunscreen because of the white cast that almost all of them leave. My eczema-ridden skin also appreciates how moisturizing it is without irritating my skin." —Vero
6. An SPF 50 sunscreen serum with vitamin C that'll protect sensitive, breakout-prone skin so you don't have to dread applying it. It protects against UVA/UVB rays and may also help correct dark spots while soothing active breakouts.
Megashade is a chemical-mineral hybrid that offers protection from UVA and UVB rays. The lightweight formula leaves a dewy finish and blends sheer-to-clear when applied. In addition to vitamin C, this sunscreen also contains other beneficial ingredients such as ferulic acid and niacinamide to calm redness, hyaluronic acid for intense moisture, and tea tree oil to fight breakouts.
ZitSticka is a small biz specializing in skincare products for sensitive, breakout-prone skin with the goal of destigmatizing topics like zits and acne.
Promising reviews: "This is now the only sunscreen I use. It looks fantastic under all base products and actually helps in their application (no pilling!). My favorite thing is that it’s a one-and-done product: sunscreen, acne prevention, and makeup prep all in one easy step. The fewer products used on oily, acne-prone skin, the better! I am 39 and still have much of the same skin concerns I’ve always had and it would have been great to have this product 20 years ago. I have tried other, much more expensive options, but this is best-in-class for us acne-prone folks. I am already on my second bottle and will continue to repurchase. Lastly, it’s kind of fun to use with the cute little bottle-and-dropper system. If you don’t enjoy the chore of applying sunscreen every day, this will probably help you change your ways." —KR
"I love this sunscreen serum that goes on clear and evenly smooth which not only helps me as a woman of color to not look pasty, it also helps me beat the damaging rays of the Arizona sun❣️" —Monique
7. Or Cocokind Daily SPF for a mineral-based sunscreen with zinc oxide. In addition to 32 SPF, this dreamy formula also helps prevent dark spots and fine lines. Reviewers say it blends well and doesn't leave any residue.
Cocokind is a San Francisco-based small business that makes a variety of cruelty-free skincare products while focusing on sustainability. They also offer moisturizers, toners, cleansers, serums, and masks.
Promising review: "Haven't had a sunburn on my nose yet this summer (it's usually inevitable) and I definitely have this SPF to thank. love that zinc oxide is the main ingredient as that is the best/safest form of sunblock to put on your skin. I also low key like that it's a small tube so i can carry it around in my fanny pack :)" —meredith
8. A mineral part powder from Supergoop to protect your scalp from those painful, itchy sunburns you love to hate. Think dry shampoo meets SPF 35 for oh-so-glorious scalp protection.
Supergoop! Poof 100% Mineral Part Powder is a zinc oxide scalp sunscreen in a nongreasy and translucent powder form. The oxybenzone- and octinoxate-free formula is made with clean, antioxidant-rich ingredients to help nourish and protect your scalp. Simply apply the part powder as the final step of your hair styling routine. Remember to address other areas of your scalp that are exposed to the sun such as your hairline.
Promising review: "I absolutely loved this! My scalp is super sensitive and usually burns and peels easily. This allowed my scalp to be protected in the European sun and my scalp hasn’t peeled or gotten burned while using this product. It is easy to apply and is not messy." —Lisa Dickinson
Get it from Amazon for $34.
9. Or a bottle of Sun Bum scalp and hair mist with 30 SPF that will leave your hair feeling fresh and smelling like summer. Oh, and it'll protect your scalp from sunburn, of course!
It's recommended that you apply this product at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. After 80 minutes of swimming or sweating, be sure to reapply! Additional perks for this chemical-based product? It's vegan, gluten-free, paraben-free, oxybenzone-free, and phthalate-free.
Promising review: "A very nice scalp spray. I used to get sunburned on the part of my hair where my scalp was exposed. The last two times I went to the beach, I used this and the smell is light and pleasant. It doesn’t leave your hair greasy and it actually feels very cooling and refreshing on the scalp. Best of all, NO SUNBURN! My new must-have in my beach bag." —Vero
Get it from Target for $14.99.
10. An adjustable wide-brim UPF 50+ visor so you can stay stylish in the sun while having ample shade for protection. If you have long and/or thick hair, you'll love a hat that can handle your luscious locks! Don't forget to use SPF scalp powder or spray with this one.
This sun visor features a unique roll-up design, so it easily fits in your bag without getting bent out of shape. It also has an adjustable Velcro closure to allow for a custom fit. Want to add a ponytail or top knot to your look? No problem! Simply adjust the tightness of the sun visor as needed.
Promising review: "This was exactly what I was looking for… fits snug so the wind doesn’t take it, packs up small in beach bag, no sunburns here. You can also sit back in your beach chair without worrying about it folding in the back. It’s gotten wet too and nothing happened. Win-win in my book." —Lindsy
Get it from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in 13 colors)
11. OR a wide brim bucket hat that'll protect your scalp AND your face from the sun. The linen material is lightweight and breathable, so it's *perfect* for all your outdoor summer activities.
Comfortarians is a New Jersey-based small biz that offers comfy hatwear and footwear.
Promising review: "Love it! Just right for beach, foldable and keeps sun off the face and neck! Love the bow and detachable chin strap! Great for windy days!" —Elizabeth G Shaw
12. A cruelty-free 25 SPF lip balm because your lips need sun protection, too! It's made with vitamin E and green tea, which will also help keep your lips moisturized and silky-smooth.
Promising review: "I work outside every day. I was having trouble keeping my lips from severely chapping, sun, and wind burning. This is the ONLY product I have found that has finally stopped the insanity I was having with my lips. It would take 6 months sometimes to heal my lips. But with Jack Black they never get burned or chapped, period! I am a traffic controller on the streets and highways and I would recommend this product to anyone who works outside or hunts and fishes. I don't go anywhere without my Jack Black!" —Cheryl Rohan
Get it from Amazon for $8+ (available in seven flavors).
13. Or a Neutrogena lip soother gloss with SPF 25 if you want to add a bit of shimmer and shine to your makeup look. Who says you can't protect your lips from the sun and look good doing it?
Promising review: "SPF 20 has kept my lips from burning this summer. Castor oil is one of the ingredients, and I have found that my lips are regaining a natural pinkish tint while looking smoother, plumper. Neutrogena is a favorite of mine." —Bulhern64
Get it from Amazon for $5.89 (available in three colors).
14. Tower 28's SunnyDays Tinted Sunscreen Foundation so you can combine your SPF with your foundation. Achieve your fave look while also preventing sun damage. You really can do it all!
This is a light coverage foundation with SPF 30 that protects against UVA/UVB damage and is suitable for sensitive skin. It's vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free. Foundation with SPF is great and all, but for maximum protection against sun damage be sure to apply your favorite sunscreen underneath this product!
Tower 28 is a small biz whose founder, Amy Liu, has struggled with eczema for years. The brand specializes in products for sensitive skin, and everything is also vegan and cruelty-free.
Promising reviews: "Finally, the perfect tinted moisturizer with SPF!! I’ve tried almost every clean brand of tinted moisturizer and this is by far my favorite for dry skin. It’s buildable, lasts a long time and makes me feel like I have nothing on." —lindseysaxon
"I’ve been looking for a tinted sunscreen for so long and have been through so many brands. After reading an article about this product, I went ahead and purchased. This is what I’ve tirelessly been looking for! Covers just enough, makes me dewy, and provided SPF 30 protection. I will be a lifetime consumer!" —KWally21
15. Or BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 30 for sheer coverage in a lightweight formula that'll simplify your beauty routine. It also has hyaluronic acid to boost moisture. Dry skin is no match for this tinted moisturizer!
Promising review: "I purchased this just before a beach vacation, planning to wear this for lazy days in the sun. It gave really great coverage (recommend buying the brush made for this), while still feeling light and makeup free. It also provided some extra protection from sunburn with my fair skin. Would buy again." —txtiffer
16. Supergoop's (Re)setting 100% mineral powder so you can finalize your look with a powder that conveniently has SPF 35. Keep your makeup ~fresh~ throughout the day while protecting yourself from the sun!
Promising review: "Purchased this product for my wedding — knew I would have professional makeup done and that we would be taking photos outside. I have very fair skin and burn very easily, so I knew I needed some sort of SPF protection. This was perfect to brush over my face, neck, and shoulders before photos and I was completely protected from the sun! Highly recommend!" —Jennyg788
17. An SPF 38 face mist for a protective spritz on hot days. Apply it alone or over other skincare products and makeup. Unlike other sunscreens with chemical-y smells, this one smells of refreshing cucumber extract for chill spa day vibes.
Promising reviews: "I love this facial sunscreen mist! I spray it over top of my makeup and it leaves me feeling hydrated as well as protecting my skin from any sun exposure!" —cmarlin7
"I absolutely LOVE this sunscreen mist! I always struggled to remember to put on SPF before my makeup and now I don’t have to! Naked face or full face of makeup, I can just spray some on before I leave the house. It’s also small enough to keep one in my purse. And the SMELL! I looove the cucumber smell. It’s so refreshing. Definitely recommend." —Nessarcoiris
Get it from Sephora for $30.
18. An incredibly lightweight sunscreen with SPF 50 from Hawaiian Tropic that feels more like a moisturizing body lotion than a sticky sunscreen. You'll never want ~vacation mode~ to end when you have a sunscreen that feels this ahh-mazing!
Promising reviews: "Texture, protection and smell are great! It leaves your skin hydrated with a nice sheer and glow. Protection is great! No white cast!" —M.CSSA
"This sunscreen is really good, it doesn’t feel sticky, goes on like a lotion and it feels so good and it smells so good. I went to the beach and I usually get sunburned because I live in Florida, but I used this and I did not get sunburnt, I definitely recommend 100% it’s super good." —cindy
Get it from Amazon for $15.94+ (available in two pack sizes).
19. And a set of sunscreen reminder stickers so you never forget to reapply your SPF! These nifty water-resistant stickers change colors to confirm your sunblock is working and again when it's time to reapply. They'll keep working for up to 12 hours, so you can have your fun in the sun *without* it leading to a sunburn.
Check out a TikTok of the sunscreen stickers in action.
Promising review: "Just used this product on a recent trip to Florida. I made sure to wash my skin before application and it lasted about two days on my skin without coming off. When out of the sun or behind UV glass, like in a car, the spot turns clear. As soon as you step into the sun it turns purple. If you use a sunblock it starts to become clear or semi clear. After being on the beach and having gone into the water a few times the spot started seeing purple and I applied sunblock again. In a minute the spot was clear again. So this is very effective In alerting me when to reapply." —RGTorque
Get two 16-counts from Amazon for $25.99+ (also available as a 48-count).
And if you're currently fighting the urge to scratch an itchy sunburn, these soothing products can help!
20. A facial ice roller because sometimes you just need to cool down your painful sunburn ASAP! You can store this in the fridge or freezer so it's ready to go when you need it most.
Promising review: "I bought it because I got a little sunburn on my face and OMG it WORKED!! No drippy mess like trying to use ice cubes, easy to use, very soothing. I use it in the morning on my puffy eyes and in the evening after I do my light therapy on my face. Don't waste your $$ on more expensive ones, this does what it says and is worth every penny!!! —H. Haffner
Get it from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in nine colors).