As an elementary education major, I am constantly searching for opportunities to strengthen my role as a future educator. I tend to gravitate towards children who need my academic assistance. There is something special about witnessing constant improvement within a child's area of difficulty in school. Also, working one-on-one with a student allows me to focus on him or her and eventually apply what I have learned to a larger scale.
I have learned so much, personally and academically, from tutoring various students in different content areas. I believe all teachers should experience the benefits of tutoring a child to add to their list of professional experiences.
7. You are able to actively apply what is being taught in your college classes.
6. You are able to see a clear path of progress and improvement in the child’s academic abilities.
5. You witness the child’s “Ah-ha!” moments when they finally understand a concept.
4. You notice you are educating yourself, not just the child.
3. You create a close bond with the child.
2. You are rewarded in various ways while doing something you love.
1. You create a strong foundation for your future teaching career.
As a tutor, I am blessed to work one-on-one with such amazing children who teach me about myself and my future career. I believe my presence and the skills I have embedded in their minds will remain with them throughout their school years. I am glad to reach the hearts and minds of students who happen to struggle with specific concepts in school. In the end, the student's success is my own as well.