When people think about owls, the first thing that comes to mind is that they generally look wise, sometimes have comical expressions, and are overall extremely cute. But with around 220 species of owls throughout the world, these big-eyed, fluffy birds are even more interesting than we think.
4. You can tell an owl’s habits through its eyes. Research suggests that owl eye color is determined by their activity habits: most black and orange-eyed owls are nocturnal, while yellow-eyed owls can be both diurnal and nocturnal.
5. Many cultures associate owls with evil or death. In Sicily, it is believed that the Common Scops Owl will sing for three days near the house of a person who is about to die.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- We found about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.