When people think about owls, the first thing that comes to mind is that they generally look wise, sometimes have comical expressions, and are overall extremely cute. But with around 220 species of owls throughout the world, these big-eyed, fluffy birds are even more interesting than we think.
4. You can tell an owl’s habits through its eyes. Research suggests that owl eye color is determined by their activity habits: most black and orange-eyed owls are nocturnal, while yellow-eyed owls can be both diurnal and nocturnal.
5. Many cultures associate owls with evil or death. In Sicily, it is believed that the Common Scops Owl will sing for three days near the house of a person who is about to die.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.