About a year-and-a-half ago, New York City ad agency Droga5 won the Newcastle Brown Ale account.
And since then, one of the best campaigns in beer advertising history has been rolled out across all media.
The “No Bollocks” tagline is perfect: It gives you a taste of the beer’s blue collar British heritage without cramming it down your throat, and it serves as a challenger brand positioning against pretty much every other beer in the world.
It’s especially brilliant when placed side-by-side with the bad, base beer advertising of America’s big spenders Budweiser, Coors, and Miller.
Enough of this bollocks, on to the advertising.
First, the TV spots.
A positively brilliant TV commercial.
3. “Big Machines”
These :15 spots using still photos cost almost nothing to produce.
But their impact is big and memorable.
4. “No Sound”
Offensive? Somewhat. That’s life.
10. They have fun with social media, too.
The best work of the campaign is when Newcastle takes on other brands head-to head, hitting them over the head with their own cliched creative linchpins.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘