To coincide with National Poetry Day in England (this Thursday, October 3rd), Transport for London has launched #TravelBetterLondon. Starting today, 13 London poets will be giving pop-up performances at nine major Tube stations. Using a whiteboard, the poets will be highlighting passenger travel habits that can disrupt journeys. The performances will run through Friday.
All of the poems will be shared on the campaign’s Tumblr, where you can write your own poem for a chance to see it on a illustrated, shared as part of the campaign. (That’s a great idea.)
Two posters (written by London ad agency M&C Saatchi, above) are already up in the Underground. The campaign also includes a short animated film displayed on digital screens at Tube stations.
I think this is fabulous, and would love to see it tried in New York.I’ve written one for NYC, whose subway I’ve been riding for 27 years:
Let me off the train
You ignorant fucks
You block the doors
You better damn well duck
4. Video featuring some of the poets
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- BuzzFeed News analyzed all the links in Donald Trump's tweets to determine where the president-elect gets his news 📰❗️
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago today, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.