1. Your Great-Granddad and Great Uncles weren’t bankers.
I think my Great Granddad (middle) was one cool-looking badass.
“Hillbilly” is of course in today’s world, a pejorative word.
But, most of us hillbillies wear the label with pride, a big pride flatlanders can’t understand.
Though I’ve been in New York City for 20+ years, and actually grew up in Southern New Jersey, I am still a hillbilly, because I came from hillbillies. And, I will always be a hillbilly, dagnabbit.
Now, let’s take a country road to West Virgina.
2. You learned how to fire a minimum of four guns by the age of 12: BB, .22, 12-gauge, and an assortment of pistols.
My 17-year-old mom coolly blasting away in the snow down in the holler.
13-year-old me taking shots with a .22 at Hills Bros. coffee cans.
Dad (foreground), trying to look like Clyde, but he’s more of a Cletus.
5. You’ve not eaten skunk, but you know folk who have.
14. Your Grandfather was a coal miner, as were/are many of your relatives. Your Grandfather and maybe a few other relatives died of black lung disease.
Not my Grandfather.
Portrait of a coal miner in Omar, West Virginia, 1938.
Photograph by B. Anthony Stewart, National Geographic.
21. Finally, this will always make a grown Hillbilly man cry.
- Bernie Sanders tried to rally his supporters, but got booed when he urged them to vote for Hillary Clinton 😡🇺🇸
- Two people were killed and at least 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.