You’ll notice that lobsters are a recurring element in the posters. From what I can find, there are two reasons for this:
1. Lobster popularity at that time was at an all-time high (as was the price).
2. More interestingly, there’s this excerpt I found in the book “Horrible Prettiness: Burlesque and American Culture”, by Robert Clyde Allen:
“Part of her allure is her power to turn the tables on those men who would attempt to possess her, to dominate them and reduce them to midgets, comatose old men, ducks, and lobsters.
That dynamic hasn’t changed much, has it?
Also, note in poster #3: the woman is clipping her dog’s tail in response to a request for a lock of her hair.
See more of these posters at Retronaut.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- An off-duty Los Angeles police officer was caught on cellphone video firing at least one shot during a confrontation with several teens.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷