You’ll notice that lobsters are a recurring element in the posters. From what I can find, there are two reasons for this:
1. Lobster popularity at that time was at an all-time high (as was the price).
2. More interestingly, there’s this excerpt I found in the book “Horrible Prettiness: Burlesque and American Culture”, by Robert Clyde Allen:
“Part of her allure is her power to turn the tables on those men who would attempt to possess her, to dominate them and reduce them to midgets, comatose old men, ducks, and lobsters.
That dynamic hasn’t changed much, has it?
Also, note in poster #3: the woman is clipping her dog’s tail in response to a request for a lock of her hair.
See more of these posters at Retronaut.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- At least nine people have been killed after a fire broke out during a warehouse party late Friday night in Oakland, California.
- A public health expert says President-elect Mike Pence's resistance to needle exchanges during Indiana's HIV outbreak last year is the direct result of systemic failure.
- "I'm 21 so you can have it back!" This 23-year-old got her lost ID back in the mail, along with a hilarious thank you note 💌😂