You’ll notice that lobsters are a recurring element in the posters. From what I can find, there are two reasons for this:
1. Lobster popularity at that time was at an all-time high (as was the price).
2. More interestingly, there’s this excerpt I found in the book “Horrible Prettiness: Burlesque and American Culture”, by Robert Clyde Allen:
“Part of her allure is her power to turn the tables on those men who would attempt to possess her, to dominate them and reduce them to midgets, comatose old men, ducks, and lobsters.
That dynamic hasn’t changed much, has it?
Also, note in poster #3: the woman is clipping her dog’s tail in response to a request for a lock of her hair.
See more of these posters at Retronaut.
- For the second day in California, protests against Donald Trump grew heated as demonstrators briefly overcame a police barricade.
- The U.S. Navy will now let sailors wear neck tattoos and sleeves, in an effort to maintain its appeal among young people ⚓️
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯