Sometimes it's the dishes that seem so simple that are the easiest to mess up — I've personally overcooked more rice than I'd care to admit. And if you're paying even more to have that dish at a restaurant, it can be doubly frustrating when it doesn't turn out right. So when redditor u/WhoDatWormy asked the r/AskReddit community about the foods a majority of people and/or restaurants often mess up, people chimed in with their foodie hot takes. Here's what they had to say.
1. "There are too many breakfast places that can't cook eggs properly."
3. "I can't remember the last time I had decent fried egg rolls at a restaurant. The insides are often just mushy, flavorless cabbage."
4. "Chiles rellenos. Well-prepared, they're amazing, but I've been disappointed so many times, I basically never order them anymore."
"Not only are they not good, but most places I’ve ordered them don’t even seem to know what it is! One place, I shit you not, served me a green chile battered in cornmeal stuffed with American cheese. Another place used a raw, unskinned pepper with no batter at all. Roasted and peeled poblano stuffed with mild white cheese and battered in egg or GTFO."
5. "Philly cheesesteaks. They might cut the meat up correctly, but sometimes they just plop some of that liquid cheese stuff; some places put on nachos."
6. "Poutine. It's trendy to stick fries with cheese and a sauce and call it that, but you can't really substitute any of the ingredients and have it taste anywhere near as good as the original."
7. "Huevos rancheros — there is an art to it. Raw corn tortillas do not taste good for one thing."
9. "Crab cakes. Even in Maryland, it's hit or miss. Outside of MD, places tend to use too much filler and binder."
11. "Calamari — often overcooked into rubber, at least here in the Midwest."
13. "Caesar salad. It either barely has any dressing, or it's so drenched in dressing that it pools at the bottom of the bowl."
15. "Onion rings. A great onion ring is an elusive thing."
17. "Chicken pot pie. Do they really think I don’t want top AND bottom crust?"
19. "Burgers — I DON'T WANT IT TALLER THAN MY MOUTH, I WANT MORE BITES. Make them wider and flatter, or even keep them normal human-sized and give me more of them! Many places are getting to the point where they are taller than they are wide, and the 'patty' is almost a sphere."
21. "Shrimp. I believe that most cooks overdo it and do too much."
22. "Fettuccine Alfredo."
"Alfredo is the one thing I almost refuse to eat out anymore. A lot of times the sauce is disgusting and sweet? I can make it a hundred times better at home. I do still eat Olive Garden every now and then; even though I know it’s not good, it just tastes like nostalgia."