2. In the same month, on Dec. 1, in honor of World AIDS Day, gay pride parades were held in cities across India, including in Ahmedabad.
3. A 23-year-old web designer was reportedly heading home from a night with friends when two cops recognized him from the parade and stopped him in Vastrapur, a posh area of the Ahmedabad city. He shared his story with the Mumbai Mirror:
“I was returning home from S G Highway around 2:30 am on my two-wheeler. The roads were empty. Two cops on a motorcycle passed by. They looked at me but did not flag me down. A little ahead, I saw them standing by the road. They stopped me and asked for my license. I showed it to them. They saw a packet of condoms in the front carrier and asked me why I had it. When I said it was for safety, they asked me if I was the same guy in ‘that parade.’ When I feigned ignorance, they asked me, ‘tu leeti chu?’ It was a derogatory way of questioning my sexual preference. Offended, I said, ‘No, I am gay’.
They took me to a dark, narrow lane. They stopped near a gate in the wall, locked my hands to its iron bars and tried to sodomize me. They pushed me down. I cried but they both forced themselves on me. They forced me to perform oral sex. When one of them was done with me, I got up to leave but the other dragged me, injuring me further. They were reeking of alcohol. They pushed me down, jumped on their motorcycle and fled the spot.”
4. Fearing police harassment, he did not file a complaint. He could not remember the individuals names or the numbers on their motorcycle. All he could remember was that they were in uniform.
“I came out of the closet when I was 15 years old. Had homosexuality been legal, I would have had the courage to file a complaint. Also, my attackers were cops. How can I expect any justice from them? There were no CCTV cameras. I was in shock so I went home and bathed. I do not think the attack can be proved medically. I have spoken up now because I want others to know the trauma gays have to suffer.”
5. Chairperson of Gujarat LGBT pride festival Swagat Shah, said, “I really wish he had filed a police complaint. But I understand his viewpoint. We have lost hope in the police and government.”
6. Watch this video from the World AIDS Day celebration in Ahmedabad.
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯