40 Things Perfect For Anyone Who's A DIY Kind Of Person
No need to hire a professional — whether you're remodeling your house, working in your garden, or deep cleaning your home, we've got foolproof ways to do it all.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A roll of faux-marble contact paper to give your sad, old-looking counters a much-needed facelift. You can also use this to transform simple pieces of furniture into more interesting pieces.
3. Some peel-and-stick floor tiles that not only will add a heightened level of decor to your kitchen or your bathroom, but will also cover up any scratches, cracks, or imperfections on the tiles.
4. Or peel-and-stick subway tile backsplash to give your kitchen a much more modern and streamlined feel. Plus: people will think you hired a professional to do it.
5. A magical carpet cleaner to treat a major spill on your carpet that you thought you'd have to hire a carpet cleaner to get out. Yes, even that awful-looking ketchup stain below.
6. A floating wooden shelf if you're looking for an aesthetically pleasing place to show off all your favorite dishware. If you're lucky enough to have an empty wall in your kitchen, this would be the perfect DIY project!
7. A drywall repair putty in case you mess up while hanging photos and end up with lots of holes in the wall. Listen — not every DIY project is going to go perfectly, and that's OK!
8. A good old-fashioned water pressure cleaner to blast all the dirt, algae, and built-up sediment off your deck. You'll save money by doing the cleaning yourself, and you'll get the satisfaction of seeing the wood literally change color before your eyes.
9. A pumice stone toilet bowl scrubber because you don't have to buy a brand-new toilet or hire a professional cleaner just because of all those stubborn hard water stains. Instead, make them disappear all by yourself (with some elbow grease of course).
10. A FlexiSnake if you've been standing in a few inches of water every time you shower and should really get around to unclogging your drain. This works just as well as a professional plumber (without the expensive bill you get afterward).
11. Velvet slip covers that will make your couch look practically brand-new, and you don't have to pay anyone to reupholster the whole thing.
12. Or a fabric defuzzer for another way to transform the look of your well-loved couch with ease. Just run it over the part of the furniture that's covered in fuzzies and all those loose strings and pills will just disappear!
13. Interlocking Teak tiles to place in your patio, balcony, or backyard to make your little slice of the outdoors look like a fancy courtyard. Don't have any outdoor space? You can put them at the bottom of your shower — instant spa status!
15. Some peel-and-stick wallpaper to create a bold statement wall in your living room or bedroom without having to paint. It'll instantly give your space a whole new look!
16. Or this removable botanical wallpaper you can stick to the walls of your closet to make you feel like you're shopping at a fancy designer store every time you get dressed.
17. A stone-effect spray paint so you don't have to go through the whole long and challenging process of buying an entire new countertop for your bathroom. Just spray on your dated countertops, let dry, and then marvel at your fantastic handiwork.
Promising review: "We recently purchased a new home, and we're not gutting our main bathroom until next summer, but I just couldn't live with that 1980s green another day. So after reading a lot of tutorials, I decided to go for it and paint the counter. I LOVE how it came out! Once it was dry for 24 hours, I applied several coats of poly and let it sit for 72 hours before I let the counter go back into normal use. It's held up like a dream." —Mistella
This reviewer left a super in-depth review, so check out the rest of it here for their tips and tricks.
Get it from Amazon for $18.66 (available in three colors).
18. Some stair riser decals if you think your stairs need a bit more personality. After all, you use them every day, so they might as well be a little prettier to look at!
19. An adjustable closet rod so you can add more hanging space in your closet without having to spend lots of money on a professional redesign. Place this onto your existing rod and voila: you've just maximized the storage space.
20. An insulated soundproofing strip because nothing's worse than finding a draft coming in through your door when it's cold outside. These strips do a great job at keeping your house more insulated, stopping those stubborn drafts, and keeping the heat inside.
21. A flexible cleaning brush so you can keep your lint trap clean and your dryer vents free of blockages. Of course, you'll want to have your dryer vent cleaned professionally on a regular basis, but in between the visits, you can use this to keep any dangerous build-up at bay.
22. A pack of LED battery-operated puck lights you can place underneath your kitchen cabinets or in your closet to provide some much-needed light in dark corners of your home.
23. Or these stick-on track lights perfect for anyone who wants some better lighting — and you don't even have to worry about outlets or electrical wiring! It's such a simple yet effective upgrade to your kitchen, closet, bathroom, or anywhere else you plan to put them.
24. A waterfall faucet because upgrading your bathroom doesn't require hiring a contractor. Even a small change like installing this faucet will make your bathroom feel like a fancy resort.
25. An orb chandelier to add some character to your dining room without having to redesign the entire space. Once you install this, you'll have a fun new focal point all your guests will be commenting on.
Promising review: "This turned out to be a great purchase. I had seen similar lights for much more money. I was trying to coordinate this light with some others I had in my house and this was perfect. As the vendor states, it can hang from a sloped ceiling. I needed to customize the down rod and the vendor answered my email the same day and shipped a longer rod immediately. I also broke a globe and they shipped me two! I am very happy with the vendor and my light." —Laura E. West
Get it from Amazon for $149.99+ (available in four colors).
26. A Sculpd pottery kit if you've been looking for some cute new vases or planters to adorn your shelves. Instead of buying them, make your own!
27. A wood polish and conditioner to make all your scratched-up hardwood floors, wood paneling, or wooden cabinets look brand-new. It'll look like you got your furniture or floors professionally restored!
28. A guided gallery wall kit that includes seven frames, a hanging template, and hardware. The accuracy of the template ensures you'll only have to make one hole in the wall for each frame.
29. A wall or floor stencil so you can transform a blank wall into an eye-catching design element. Are you bored with how plain your laundry room looks? I think we just found the perfect way to dress it up.
Promising review: "Great stencil that comes out amazing when done!!! My only recommendation would be to wash your stencil frequently as you use it or the paint builds up and causes the paint to bleed under the stencil a bit. Overall easy to use and looks beautiful!!" —KSerrano
Get it from Amazon for $9.99 (available in eight designs).
30. Command picture hanging strips that are not only super strong but can also be removed easily without damaging the wall. These give you the freedom to put down the nail and hammer yet still hang up that huge canvas that's currently sitting on the floor — four pairs of strips can hold up to 16 pounds!
31. A set of NoNo Brackets so you can install a curtain rod without any hardware. They easily mount to your existing blinds, and all you have to do is place the rod into the rounded space. Genius!
32. A uniquely designed weed removal tool that is so much more effective than regular gardening tools. The head is super sharp on the inside and the outside so it will remove even the most stubborn of weeds. The long, easy-to-grip handle makes it comfortable to use even for gardeners with limited mobility.
33. A cabinet painting kit if you've been wanting to try your hand at refreshing your cabinets since your HGTV marathon-watching session last winter.
Includes two 31-oz. cans of Nuvo cabinet paint, one roller arm, two roller covers, and a 2-inch angled paint brush. Each covers 100 square feet of cabinet surface.
Promising review: "This product was super easy to use. We went with the tips in the reviews and bought nicer foam rollers specifically for cabinets and I’m so happy I did, it made it so we barely had to use a brush because of how the foam rolls over the side. We also took the doors and handles off, which I recommend also. It definitely wouldn’t have turned out as nice if we left them on.
This took four coats and five in the larger areas (i.e. next to the fridge, etc). Our kitchen took two kits, but well worth it and still way cheaper than the quotes that we got from professionals. It totally changes the feel of the kitchen and it looks SO MUCH BRIGHTER! I would say give yourself a few days to knock this out as it took us several nights to finish. But would highly recommend." —TJ Sarnese
34. A window film to create a stained-glass effect that will cast beautiful rainbow light all around your apartment. They stay on your window thanks to static cling, which makes them easy to remove or move around.
35. Pre-made wall panels if you've always wished your house came with fancy molding. All you need a in a nail gun, glue, and a good eye for measurement, and your house will start looking like a million bucks.
Reviewers attached these in different ways, with some just using mounting tape in apartments for no damage to walls. Others installed them on doors and kitchen islands!
Promising review: "Moved into an apartment with an ugly old plain front door that has seen better days. Since I cannot replace the door I decided to spruce it up, and these frame pieces are going to do the trick. They can be nailed or glued on, and then I have some colorful paint to cover them and the door...making the door look like it always was an upscale door with panels. I am happy with this purchase." —tj44
Get a single panel from Amazon starting at $12.99 (available in sets and tons of sizes).
36. A beautiful, statement-making rounded decal that can easily take the place of a headboard. It'll look like an artist painted it on when, in reality, you just stuck it on your wall. Our favorite kind of DIY project!
37. A plug-in wall sconce so you can get a stylish light fixture right by your bed — no electrical work necessary. Not only will it make your room feel fancier, but it'll also free up your bedside table for more decor.
38. A set of gold cabinet pulls that look so sophisticated, people will think you hired an interior designer when they see how much these transform any cabinet door or drawer you place them on.
Promising review: "If you have any doubts in your mind about these handle pulls....don't!!! They are absolutely stunning in person. They are heavy and have a luxe weighted feel and look to them. The brushed brass gleams the perfect amount. I truly get so happy every time I walk into my kitchen. These handle pulls make it magnificent. They're like jewelry for your kitchen. I couldn't be happier with them." —Ravi S
Get a set of 10 five-inch pulls from Amazon for $46.95.
39. A brick whitewash paint if your dated fireplace is letting everyone know your house was built decades ago. Painting it with this is the perfect way to bring it into the 21st century.
Promising review: "This is amazing!!!!! It looks like a different fireplace. I have been looking at a horrible grout repair that the previous owners did for 20 years. I did this in about two hours!!!!!! This product is fast, it's easy to use, easy to clean up, and inexpensive." —Denise
Get a pint from Amazon for $24.95.