40 Things For Anyone Determined To Spend The Rest Of The Summer Outside
Whether you're hitting the beach or just your backyard, here's how to make the last few dog days of summer as great as possible.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A sun visor as stylish as it is effective at getting the sun out of your face and the sweat at bay. If traditional baseball caps make your head too sweaty, you'll love how the open design of this visor allows the breeze to hit your hair and neck.
The wide brim provides much more UV protection than regular caps!
Promising review: "I have long hair and always avoided hats because I hate having my hair sweating against my neck in a low bun or ponytail. With this sun visor–summer hat combo, I can keep my hair in a top knot and still keep my face and neck protected from the sun while catching a nice breeze. This is perfect (although a little large in circumference and I have a big head — 7 3/4 hat size) and it’s adjustable and can fit any head size. It rolls up well and has an elastic to keep it rolled. I’ll be recommending this item to all my friends!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $21.99+ (available in 14 colors).
2. A rechargeable handheld fan you'll want to whip out the second you feel the first drop of sweat descend down your face as you soak up the last few hot days of summer.
I bought this to take on a summer trip to Disney World and let me tell you — it's the only way I survived!! Every day got well into the 90s, but I kept this pointed at my face whenever I wasn't soaking up air conditioning. I was seriously impressed with how powerful it was and how I instantly felt less sweaty. The charge lasts about a day if you use it sparingly (or a few hours of continuous use), so make sure to charge it nightly if you're on a trip. The fan has three speed settings, and it folds so you can prop it up on a table.
Promising review: "I have ZERO complaints!!! My sister got married outdoors and I decided I needed a fan as I sweat a lot. Suffice to say I LOVE IT! I was cool the entire time in the sun, it has a handle and is not too big which makes it easy to tag along any- and everywhere. You won’t regret this purchase." —DIONNE HOOK
Get it from Amazon for $14.59+ (available in four colors).
3. Or a hands-free personal fan worn around your neck that points TWO fans directly at your face. It's basically your own personal cooling system that you can take anywhere you go. Sign us up!
The rechargeable fan lasts for up to 16 hours, and it has six different speed settings. Reviewers say it's especially great for people who work outside all day and still need their hands free to do tasks.
Promising review: "The older I get, the less tolerant of the heat I become, and I live in Texas, where summers can sometimes last eight months, so I was anxious to try this fan. I was NOT disappointed! My order arrived a day early, and since It was 97 degrees F outside, I immediately ripped open the box and turned it on. I was not disappointed! It fit comfortably over my neck, and the dual fans are adjustable so you can position them however is most comfy for you. The unit has six settings from soft, intermittent breeze to the highest constant speed, which is my personal favorite choice, since I sweat easily, and this keeps me the coolest. I've been saying for years that someone needs to make a personal fan that hangs over your shoulders or around your neck, and someone finally has!" —Shirley Doubleu
Get it from Amazon for $13.59 (available in six colors).
4. A tube of Burt's Bees After Sun soother if you find yourself feeling a bit toasty after a long day soaking up the sun. Apply this all over the sunburnt area as soon as possible for sweet relief from the pain, itching, and heat.
This product is formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or SLS.
Promising review: "Whenever someone I know has a sunburn, I become that super-annoying product-pusher friend. I tell everyone about the sun soother! Really, Burt’s Bees should pay me. It rubs into skin like lotion so you don’t feel greasy and can immediately put on clothes after application. A little goes a long way! It smells good without being overpowering (and I’m picky about scents!). Most importantly, it works! I’ve had everything from slight burn to looks-like-a-lobster-feels-like-fire and this sun soother has eliminated the pain/itch and drastically reduced the eventual peel. Highly recommend!" —jlgentr3
Get it from Amazon or $7.69.
5. A waterproof pouch to keep your cellphone dry, even if you take it in the water. Want to take pictures or answer a text? The clear sleeve still gives you full touch-screen capability!
It also comes with a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck.
Promising review: "This product is incredible. I purchased to use while in Key West for an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, and Galaxy S6 Edge and it fits perfectly for each phone (but a little more snug with the iPhone 6 plus). It is completely waterproof and takes great photos and video through the case but you have to press record prior to submerging the case underwater. My family went snorkeling and kept the case with the phone inside submerged almost the entire time and had no issues with leakage. My family and I got stopped numerous times being asked where we purchased this product. Perfect even if just on the beach and you do not want to get sand or sunscreen on your phone and want to still take photos/text/browse the internet while on the beach. I will be purchasing this for everyone in my family as it has become a travel must-have! I highly recommend this product." —Jennifer Roman
Get it from Amazon for $6.99 (available in 14 colors).
6. A Cerave facial moisturizing lotion because you should always be putting sunscreen on your face when you're headed outside — and this lightweight formula comes with SPF 30 to keep you protected.
7. Or this sunscreen from Black Girl Sunscreen that doesn't leave behind that dreaded gooey, milky look that most sunscreens do. This formula goes on completely sheer, and it's infused with jojoba and avocado to keep your skin hydrated.
This sunscreen is paraben-free, fragrance-free, oxybenzone-free, octinoxate-free, silicone-free, and aluminum-free.
Promising review: "I used to dread wearing sunscreen because of that horrible ashy cast it gave my brown skin. Now? I actually look forward to putting this stuff on. I love how moisturizing it is and that it is completely sheer. What it is advertised to do it actually does. I layer this on top of my moisturizer. You do need to work it in a little bit but it absorbs into the skin nicely. To all my brown/black ladies/fellas, what are you waiting for? Buy it!" —MD
Get it from Target for $15.99.
8. A mini projector to take movie night under the stars. Whether you're watching your favorite rom-com for the millionth time or a new release, you'll love feeling the nighttime breeze on your face.
This projector is Wi-Fi compatible, so you can connect this with your phone, tablet, or computer. And even if you're somewhere without a Wi-Fi connection, you can connect your phone to the projector with the included cable.
Promising review: "This projector is great. It has great picture quality and brightness, just needs to be focused to match the distance you set it at. I did buy a sound bar to go with the projector but that's because I initially used it outside and with a bunch of people. The sound isn't bad, especially if you're using inside. For the price, it's a great little projector and very easy to set up. I've had this projector for a few months now and no problems." —Kayla
Get it from Amazon for $99.98.
9. And a projection screen you can hang up outside to get the most crisp, clear image possible. You're about to be the envy of the whole block once you put this up.
The screen is 120 inches and made of an anti-crease material. It also comes with brackets and ropes for mounting purposes.
Promising review: "This screen is perfect for our use. We bought it for outdoor movie nights whether being on the garage door, in the backyard, camping, or inside the garage. It’s very easy to install with no wrinkles and shows a great picture. I’ve attached pictures that show how well I can still see the picture despite being surrounded by 7,000 Christmas lights in close vicinity." —Hallie H.
Get it from Amazon for $27.99.
10. A Pocket Blanket capable of folding up so small, it can literally fit in the palm of your hand. You'll want to take along this waterproof blanket on any outdoorsy trip — it has tethered corner stakes, so it'll stay put no matter how windy it gets.
Matador is a small business that creates innovative, durable, and long-lasting travel and outdoor products, and in fact, the Pocket Blanket was the first product they ever created.
Promising review: "I love this product because the blanket can fold into a small pocket and I can bring it with me while traveling. I plan to order more to put in the car, to put one in an emergency kit, and give out as gifts. It’s so convenient being pocketable." —Evelyn
Get it from The Grommet for $29.95 (available in three colors).
11. Globe string lights to give your porch that twinkly, cozy feel as you and your friends chat for hours on your outdoor furniture.
Promising review: "Absolutely love the dim feature! These bulbs are more round than oval like others, but I love them. When they are off, there’s a cool yellow in them that offers a lovely aesthetic when not in use. Our pergola is wired for lights so we mounted them on and almost always dim them because the white pergola reflects the light. These lights have made our patio my new favorite spot in the house. My husband and I find the evenings so relaxing, we’ve literally grown closer together from spending time out under the lights in our new favorite place." —fishurmo
Get them from Amazon for $15.99+ (available in 27, 48, and 97 feet).
12. A Chuckit! ball launcher so you can give your furry friend the best game of fetch they've ever had. You'll be able to launch the ball farther, and you don't have to pick up the slobbery ball with your hands. Win-win!
Promising review: "Love this! We now have ordered three! One for each vehicle for when we go to the dog park and one to keep at home! Our dogs love it and I love it because it helps by keeping my shoulder from hurting from throwing a ball. Easy to use and really helps the dogs get exercise and have fun!" —Michelle S
Get it from Amazon for $7.02.
13. A personal umbrella that clips onto the back of your beach chair so you can make sure you have access to shade, even if everyone else in your group prefers to lay in the sun all day.
Promising review: "My wife likes no sun, so this allows us to pull beach chairs together. I can set it up and 'boom,' no sun for her. The clamp holds up in wind and the adjustable angles that the umbrella has allow you to sort of aim the shade. Great product and it fits into a suitcase!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $23.57+ (available in two sizes and eight colors).
14. An adjustable mister you can attach to your hose to keep you cool as you lounge poolside or in your backyard. Now THIS is truly the kind of simple luxury we need during sweaty season!
The mister will cool the surrounding area by 20 degrees, and it comes with an interchangeable flower-shaped misting head for a fun, whimsy detail.
Promising review: "Works exactly how I want it to. Provides a fine, cool most on the patio, allowing us to enjoy the backyard until sunset without breaking a sweat. Easy to set up. It was out of the box and cooling us off within minutes." —Debra L. Kusek
Get it from Amazon for $24.
15. A pair of lightweight, waterproof Birkenstocks that are way more supportive than those flimsy flip-flops you've been holding on to. We think these will become your go-to footwear for many summers to come.
They have a contoured footbed so they give your foot total, flexible support when you're walking.
Promising review: "Perfect for the beach and pool. They provide comfort, no scratchy sand getting between your toes in flip-flops, 100% waterproof! Easy to rinse off coming off the beach. Wore morning and night on my beach vacation. Perfect to bring littles to the pool in and play water games in outside." —Zappos Customer
Get it from Zappos for $44.95 (available in women's sizes 5–15.5, narrow and regular widths, and 11 colors).
16. Or these Sanuk flip-flops made out of yoga mat material, so it'll feel like you're walking on clouds. Many reviewers say they've had these for years and they have held up even with daily wear!
Promising review: "These are my favorite. As a Southern Californian, I wear flip-flops year-round. The last pair of Sanuk yoga mat flip-flops I bought lasted through almost three years of constant wear (they were basically the only shoes I wore for three years, so I'm serious when I say constant). They're comfortable enough to wear for a day at Disneyland, even with arthritic joints." —beth
Get them from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in women's sizes 5–11 and in 14 colors).
17. An outdoor Bluetooth speaker that also acts as a nice outdoor light to keep the ambience going well past sunset. This speaker can last for six hours of play on just one charge, so feel free to press play on that extra-long summer playlist you're proud of.
Tikitunes is a small business dedicated to making speakers look as good as they sound. If you buy two speakers, you can pair them together to play the same song at the same time.
Promising review: "Super easy to pair, great sound quality for the patio, and lovely light. Highly recommend, and I have shared it already to several people!" —obbi
18. A cooler backpack for an easy way to carry all your water bottles, sodas, and adult beverages on your outdoor adventures. This thing can hold up to 20 cans!
Promising review: "This cooler backpack is absolutely perfect. I plan on bringing it to the beach every time we go. It's actually very comfortable on my shoulders. No leaks and it keeps our beverages and snacks nice and cool! Would 100% recommend." —Anjel
Get it from Amazon for $21.66+ (available in five colors).
19. A cooling towel to soak in cold water and place around your neck to keep you cool as a cucumber all day long. The more water you soak it in, the longer it stays cool!
20. A clinical-strength antiperspirant for people who've tried everything and still just can't stop SWEATING throughout the entirety of summer. It contains 12% aluminum chloride, which blocks sweat for up to 72 gloriously dry hours.
Promising review: "Just got inside from 80-degree weather. I CANNOT believe I have no sweat marks. To be dramatic, this is life-changing. To be modest, this is life-changing. Haha. I was always so embarrassed going anywhere! No matter the weather I was always dripping sweat from under my arms. I was always so self-conscious, leaving parties early, known as the sweater! No more! I’m seriously so excited about this." —Liz
Get it from Amazon for $5.67.
21. A pair of paper bag waist shorts with a billowy fit so breezy you'll want to wear them to every outdoor event you have on your calendar for the rest of summer.
22. An inflatable lounger for a truly luxurious sunbathing experience... I bet you're already daydreaming of yourself in one of these, drink in hand and birds chirping in the distance.
To inflate, just move it through the air and trap the air by closing the sleeve opening before you're done moving. Make sure to keep the opening closed until you start your next inflating movement. Whenever I go to the beach, I always see people doing a little running motion to fill this up with air quicker, and it seems to work really well for them!
Promising review: "I wanted to hang out in the beach and just lay down for a couple of hours. I tried foldable chairs but they were too heavy. I tried the Wekapo and it was the best solution. It packs to a small size, it's lightweight enough, and it elevates me enough from the sand." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $39.98 (available in 16 colors).
23. A kiddie pool big enough for two adults to soak in for the days you're looking for a fun, whimsical way to keep cool.
24. A tumbler with double-wall vacuum insulation that will keep drinks cold all day long. No matter how hot it gets outside, you can rest assured you'll have ice-cold water at the ready!
According to reviewers, it's even better than the more expensive brands of insulated tumblers! It comes with a flip lid, a straw lid, and two reusable straws.
Promising review: "Not to be dramatic, but I would die for this cup. I bought the all-black version and it's beautiful. Not only that, but the interchangeable tops and two plastic straws!!! I'm so excited to be saving the whales and looking amazing in the process. I should ask for commission on the sales of this because all of my coworkers want one now. Another great part that I don't think the description mentions: there's NO condensation AT ALL. I also accidentally left half an iced coffee WITH CUBES in here for nine hours and when I came home the cubes were still there and the coffee was still cold. ALSO, I have tiny hands, which sometimes makes holding things difficult. But the 16-oz size is tall and slim and easy to carry/fit in small bags." –jacklynn ramos
Get it from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in four sizes and 40 colors).
25. A pair of sunglasses that also function as a bottle opener. Yes, you'll instantly become everyone's favorite person at the backyard cookout when you're wearing these sneakily helpful sunnies.
Promising review: "Maaaannnnnn I bought these for Cancun and they’ve been used and abused here in the saltwater pool and beaches but they are worth the money in my opinion! Yes they feel a tad bit cheap but, hey, they’ve opened so many bottled beer and sodas and I like how they look. I’m happy with my purchase! Will be buying more to keep in my car and in my work truck." —Erik Perez
Get it from Amazon for $16.99 (available in four colors).
26. A waterproof Kindle Paperwhite for finally reading that bestseller you've been wanting to start for ages. The anti-glare display on the screen mimics the look of words on actual paper, so you can read this while sitting outside without having to strain your eyes.
My coworker and Kindle-lover Abby Kass says: "I've been an avid Kindle user for the past four years, but when I saw the new version, I knew it was time to upgrade. The main selling point is the fact that this one is waterproof. So waterproof, in fact, that it can be in up to 2 meters of fresh water for more than 60 minutes. Plus, it's lighter, has more storage, and the battery last for WEEKS. I took this on vacation with me and was so impressed. I was able to sit on the ledge in the pool and read without worrying about getting the device wet. And I even put it in the water to test, and it still works perfectly. Plus, I used it every day and didn't have to charge it the whole time I was on the trip. That gets a big gold star in my book."
Get it from Amazon for $129.99+ (available in two storage sizes and four colors).
Check out our full review of the Kindle Paperwhite here.
27. A set of beach cup holders — just stick them right into the sand, and your drink of choice stays upright and sand-free. There's even a slot on the side to hold your phone or sunglasses!
28. A cornhole game that's super easy to transport, so you can take it along to the beach, set it up in the backyard, or start up a game in the park.
Promising review: "Got this for a little beach fun. It went over well. It's lightweight and easily transported. It takes up little space in the trunk. Sets up quickly and tears down just as quickly. Good buy for the price. Seems sturdy and looks like it will last with a little effort and care." —Dennis
Get it from Amazon for $39.99+ (available in four colors).
29. An extra-large pop-up beach tent so you can take a nice, shady break if you've been frolicking in the waves and soaking up the sun all day.
Outdoor Masters is a small business that specializes in outdoor gear, including ski and snowboard gear.
Promising review: "Summer is here and I just gotta say this tent is pretty stinkin' awesome! It's intended for the beach but I can see so many other uses! Outdoor concerts, games, parties. Any time you need shade. It literally pops up in 15 seconds and it's super compact! You could legit even spend the night in it. It closes completely!" —fifth_wheels_rock_literally
Get it from Outdoor Masters for $79.99 (available in four colors).
30. A Bug Bite Thing suction tool that literally sucks out all the insect venom and saliva from your skin if you get bit while sitting on your porch or going for a hike. The itching disappears within seconds!
Some reviewers say it has strong suction power, so use it lightly!
Promising review: "I am a magnet for bites of all kinds and carry topical and medicines with me at all times — so I figured this would be a good product to see if it really works. I woke up with a bug bite on my arm so I used this little tool (three times per the instructions) — immediately after using, it stopped itching! And less than 24 hours later the bump/bite was gone! There is a very faint red mark from using the thing, but a small price to pay IMO. Bottom line: it’s awesome. I’m carrying it with me everywhere!" —Rebecca
Get it from Amazon for $9.95 (available in two colors).
31. A five-tier vertical planter if you've suddenly got a green thumb and want to take advantage of the nice weather while you can. This is perfect for anyone with limited outdoor space because it uses vertical space instead of lots of bulky flower beds or pots!
Some reviewers even swear that this planter can store up to 20 beers with ice, making it the perfect backyard BBQ ~cooler~.
Promising review: "Used for strawberry plants. The planter was extremely easy to assemble and works perfectly for my needs. Love how watering the top layers will also water the lower layers via the drainage system. Nice product!" —Fellow Amazon shopper
Get it from Amazon for $36.95 (available in four colors).
32. A long-sleeved T-shirt that will keep you protected from harmful UV rays while still being breathable so you don't overheat.
Promising review: "Perfect for protecting you from the sun. This shirt saved me on a trip to the Southwest. I have very fair skin and always bathe myself in sunscreen. This helped tremendously, even in 90F+ heat in Arizona, it was surprisingly comfortable and somewhat breathable. Whenever I wore it, there was absolutely no trace of sun exposure. Would definitely recommend to anyone." —Kdub
Get it from Amazon for $10.95+ (available in women's sizes XS–2XL and in 11 colors).
33. A beach chair necessary for that last-minute beach trip you're taking this summer. It sits low to the ground so you can still have that relaxing feel of sand on your toes and legs while sitting upright.
It also comes with a cup holder (important!) and a sleeve on the back to hold your towel when you're not using it.
Promising review: "Love these chairs! Got two for a trip to the beach and they’re very comfortable. They fold up easily and are very compact and easy to carry/pack. Just throw it on your shoulder with the strap on the bag and your hands are free to carry other things!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $54.44.