1. American Civil War: Fort Sumter, South Carolina, 1863
Photograph taken from Fort Sumter of three Union ironclads firing at Fort Moultrie. While taking the picture the ships turned their guns on the photographer. Some of his equipment was hit by cannon fire and he narrowly escaped with his life. By George S. Cook. (1863)
The house in the foreground of this photo is visible in the midground of the first photo in lesser detail. It is clearly bullet riddled and possibly has blood flowing from the doorway. The German skirmishers are closer and in two lines with another column coming to reinforce them to their rear.
Artillery shell exploding among infantry during the Franco-Prussian War (Date, location, and photographer unknown)
11. Boer War, Battle of Paardeberg, South Africa, 1900
Two Canadian soldiers fighting with another dead by their side at the Battle of Paardeberg, Orange Free State (South Africa). The photographer’s badge and
helmet were hit by gunfire while taking the photo. By Lt. James Cooper Mason. (1900)
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen have topped France's 1st round for president. They face off in 2 weeks 🇫🇷
- After days of deadly riots, Venezuela's president threatened protesters in a bizarre video — while playing catch.
- A recent report found that 6 of the largest soft drinks companies, excluding Coca-Cola, use a combined average of just 6.6% recycled plastic.
- Frank Ocean just released a new, auto-tune inspired song called "Lens" on Blonded Radio, his Beats 1 show 🎤