2. PART I: Make your crust.
3. You will need:
Kosher salt, butter, granulated sugar, egg yolks, rye flour, caraway seeds, and all-purpose flour. (Full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
4. Next, using a spice grinder or coffee grinder…
5. …grind the caraway seeds until they look like this:
You could also do this by hand with a mortar and pestle.
6. In a medium mixing bowl, use two forks to cut together room temperature butter and sugar.
7. Keep going until it looks like this (combined, but still slightly lumpy):
8. Beat the egg yolks with a fork, then add them to butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined.
9. Then add remaining ingredients.
10. Continue cutting the mixture together.
11. Stop when it looks like this (combined but crumbly):
12. Press into a 9-inch pie plate, starting with the base…
13. …and then moving up until dough is all the way up the sides.
14. Press down with the palm of your hand so that dough is as smooth as possible.
15. Smooth out the edges, so that it looks like this, then bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, until edges just start to brown.
16. PART II: Make your pumpkin filling.
17. You will need:
Dark brown sugar, evaporated milk, canned pumpkin, ground nutmeg, honey, eggs, kosher salt, and cinnamon. (Full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
18. First, beat eggs with a whisk in a medium mixing bowl.
19. Then, add sugar, honey, spices, salt, and pumpkin puree.
20. Whisk until combined.
21. Add evaporated milk and whisk to combine all the ingredients.
BTW we had to pour ours through a sieve because our can opener broke midway through opening the milk, so we wanted to make sure there were no can opener parts in our pie.
22. Cover the edges of your partially-baked crust with foil, and pour in the pumpkin mixture.
Try not to press the foil down too firmly onto the crust or it will stick.
23. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce oven to 350 and bake another 50 minutes, until filling is set. Let cool at least an hour before serving.
24. RYE PUMPKIN PYE
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (¾ stick), cut into ¼-inch cubes
5 tablespoons sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons caraway seeds, ground in spice grinder or with mortar and pestle
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
one 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
one 12-oz. can evaporated milk
Spice grinder or mortar and pestle
9-inch pie dish
Let butter sit out at room temperature for about 20 minutes, until soft but not melting. With the back of a fork, cut together butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl until mixture is smooth with no lumps and the sugar is completely incorporated. Add the egg yolks and stir to combine, then add flours, caraway, and salt. Mix until the mixture is crumbly (all ingredients should be combined, but the mixture will have a slightly sandy, not sticky texture), then press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake crust about 10 minutes, just until it starts to brown.
Filling and Assembly:
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, honey, spices, salt, and pumpkin puree, and whisk until combined. Slowly add evaporated milk, whisking just until combined.
Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil, then pour the pumpkin mixture in. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350°F and cook another 50 minutes, until filling is set.
Cool before serving.
26. See BuzzFeed’s complete Thanksgivukkah menu here.
Photos by Macey J. Foronda
Styling by John Gara
27. Planning on cooking this recipe, or another one from our Thanksgivukkah menu?
That’s awesome! Take a picture of your finished dish, post it to Instagram, and tag it #Thanksgivukkah. The BuzzFeed food editors want to know how things turn out in your home kitchen. And, who knows? Maybe your photo will end up in a BuzzFeed post!
- The LAPD says it won't work with the feds on deportations — but it already does.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- People are mad at Jennifer Lawrence for telling a story about rubbing her butt on sacred Hawaiian rocks.