16 New Year's Resolutions That Will Make Anyone A Better Cook
Resolutions are easier to keep when you're constantly getting rewarded with delicious food.
1. Master a couple of super-easy desserts that are fancy enough to bring to a potluck or serve at a party.
2. Boil pasta perfectly every time.
3. Memorize the grain-to-water ratios of your favorite whole grains.
4. Take your grilled-cheese game to the next level.
5. Get a knife that's sharp, and learn how to keep it that way.
6. Once your knife is sharp, learn how to chop an onion.
7. Pickle something.
You can pickle pretty much any sturdy fruit or vegetable with not much effort, and it's a great way to preserve and enhance produce when it's in peak season — think green beans in the spring, corn in the summer, carrots in the fall. Learn more here.
8. Roast the most perfect chicken with nothing but a hot oven and plenty of salt and pepper.
9. Jump-start a whole week of meals in just a couple of hours.
The trick is to cook big batches of one protein, one starch, and a bunch of vegetables, then remix them in whatever way you feel like each day. Here's a make-ahead meal plan that pretty much anyone can cook, to get you started.