6. The cornmeal croquettes quickly became a staple in the south. The name is credited to hunters and fisherman who would fry off cornmeal mixture leftover from their own cooking and feed it to their dogs to quiet them around the campfire. “Hush, puppies!”
10. Well, actually, that is correct.
19. How To Make Hush Puppies:
Adapted from Southern Living.
Makes 4 servings (12-16 hush puppies)
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour oil into a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or use a deep-fryer), and heat to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
20. You’re so welcome.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- A right-leaning nonprofit is planning to place news articles critical of Clinton in black newspapers ahead of the election 📰
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘