6. The cornmeal croquettes quickly became a staple in the south. The name is credited to hunters and fisherman who would fry off cornmeal mixture leftover from their own cooking and feed it to their dogs to quiet them around the campfire. “Hush, puppies!”
10. Well, actually, that is correct.
19. How To Make Hush Puppies:
Adapted from Southern Living.
Makes 4 servings (12-16 hush puppies)
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour oil into a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or use a deep-fryer), and heat to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
20. You’re so welcome.
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines.
- 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture include: "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," and "Hidden Figures" 🎥 🎬
- White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer repeated claims that the inauguration was the most watched ever. But the numbers (still) don't make sense.
- Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that Prime Minister Theresa May needs to consult parliament before triggering Brexit.