2. Heirloom Caprese Strata
Recipe by Christine Byrne
For this recipe, I used 8 slices of multigrain grocery store bread, because it had been sitting in my refrigerator forever. Really, though, you can use any kind of bread you want, as long as it yields 4-6 cups of torn cubes.
8 large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
8 slices multigrain bread, torn into rough 2-inch pieces (4-6 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
2 Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl, and whisk vigorously until the whites and yolks are combined and the mixture starts to bubble. Whisk in the milk and season with salt and pepper. Add the torn pieces of bread and toss everything together so that the bread is completely saturated.
3. Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet (if you don’t have cast-iron, just make sure you’re using something oven-proof) over medium heat. Swirl the butter around the bottom of the skillet, and tilt the pan so that the butter coats at least 1 1/2-inches up the sides. Add the bread and egg mixture, and spread it over the bottom of the skillet in a full, even layer. Top with sliced tomato and sliced mozzarella, then sprinkle with half of the basil leaves.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the egg is completely cooked through. Take the strata out of the oven and let it sit for at least 5 minutes in the skillet before serving
5. To serve, cut 4 equal slices and garnish with the remaining basil. It’s great served with a green salad, but also perfectly delicious on its own.
- From water jugs and dehydrated food to Faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Donald Trump's presidency.
- Several people are trapped after an avalanche buried an Italian hotel Wednesday night following a succession of earthquakes.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JPMorgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸