1. First, some backstory: Terri is a vegetarian cafe in NYC, just a stone’s throw away from the BuzzFeed offices.
They actually have two locations, with a third opening soon in Midtown East.
2. The food at Terri is good. But the Green Power Smoothie is LEGENDARY.
3. Terri’s guest relations manager, Jeffrey LaPadula, told BuzzFeed Life that the green power smoothie is the best-selling thing on their menu.
Like, this smoothie is a legit ~thing~ in NYC. It was written up in The Village Voice a couple of years ago and in the popular vegetarian magazine VegNews in 2011, and its popularity is still going strong.
4. After too many hours wasted trying to figure out WHY this particular green smoothie is so magical, BuzzFeed Life went direct to the source — Terri’s FiDi location — to get the official recipe.
5. The ingredients? Pear, kale, banana, almond butter, and plain, sweetened soy milk.
7. At Terri, they pre-batch all the ingredients except the soy milk, then freeze them in single portions in 16-ounce cups.
To do this at home, just chop the kale, pear, and banana into bite-sized pieces and freeze in an air-sealed cup, container, or bag with a tablespoon of almond butter.
8. When someone orders a smoothie, they just fill the cup of frozen ingredients all the way to the top with cold soy milk…
Which comes out to about a cup of soy milk.
10. The smoothie is even served in the same cup the ingredients are frozen in, because WHY NOT!?
11. The Green Power Smoothie is available at Terri all day, for $6.95. If you want to make one at home, here’s how:
13. Green Power Smoothie
Makes 1 smoothie
Recipe courtesy of Terri restaurant
1 cup (about 3.5 ounces) kale leaves, packed
1/2 large, ripe pear
1/2 large, ripe banana
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 cup plain soy milk
Chop the kale, pear, and banana into bite-sized pieces and place in an airtight container or freezer bag. Add the almond butter and freeze.
Add the soymilk to the frozen ingredients, then purée in a blender until smooth.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A former "Apprentice" contestant has filed a lawsuit against Trump for calling her a liar over sexual assault allegations.
- Blue Lies Matter: How video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- You can now dig through the CIA's secret history. 12 millions declassified docs are on the internet for all to see 🤓📚