Figs are delicious. Their subtle sweetness and seedy texture make them great for sweet or savory dishes. That said, they can be elusive. Fig season lasts from June to September, but they’re mostly unavailable outside of that window. When ripe, they are delicate and spoil quickly, but when underripe or picked out of season, they are tasteless and not really worth eating.
But, they’re in peak season right now, so take advantage. Buy figs that are ripe — they should smell fresh and be nice and soft, but not totally mushy — with intact skin and no bruising.
1. Robiola Stuffed Figs with Pomegranate
These stuffed figs are served raw and cold, but you could pop them in the oven as is for 10-15 minutes, if you want sweeter figs and warm, melting cheese. And, if you can’t find robiola, substitute brie or any other soft cheese. Recipe here.
3. Prosciutto-Wrapped Grilled Figs
No recipe, just wrap figs with prosciutto or a similar cured meat (salami, pancetta, sopressata, etc.), secure with a toothpick, and cook on the grill. You may want to cover your grill with foil first, to stop the figs from falling through the grates.
19. Fig Tart with Vanilla Scented Frangipane
Frangipane is really simple to make (just ground almonds, butter, sugar, and eggs), and it adds an extra level of flavor to pies, tarts, or even cakes. If you bake often, make extra and keep it in the freezer for up to a month. Recipe here.
25. Fig and Vanilla Vodka
Okay, so actually eating the figs may not be the point here — feel free to try, but remember that eating fruit that’s been sitting in straight vodka for a week is not the same as eating fruit that’s been floating around in sweet sangria for a couple of hours. Recipe here.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.
- Hillary Clinton has picked Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate. He was considered a favorite for the ticket.
- Employees at a textile factory that made Trump shirts report dangerous, abusive conditions — harsh even for Honduras.