2. Pan-Seared Cod with Corn, Butter Beans, and Butter Lettuce
Recipe by Christine Byrne
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 large ear of corn)
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
2 6-ounce skinless cod filets,* roughly 1-inch thick
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium head butter lettuce**, cut into rough 2-inch pieces
parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)
*You can substitute tilapia, halibut, sea bass, or any white fish.
**You can substitute leafy romaine lettuce (only use the green outer leaves) or spinach.
1. Melt butter In a small saucepan over medium heat. Add corn kernels and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn has started to brown slightly, about 2 minutes. Add butter beans, stir to combine, and turn the heat to low. Continue to cook the corn and beans over low heat while you sear the cod.
2. Pat cod filets dry with paper towels, then season them liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over high heat until the oil is very hot and almost smoking. Place filets in the skillet and cook over high heat, without touching or moving the fish, until the edges start to turn golden brown, about a minute. Turn heat down to medium-high and continue to cook, still without touching or moving the fish, until a crispy, golden brown crust has developed on the underside and the flesh of the fish is mostly opaque, about 4 minutes. Use a fish spatula to carefully flip the fish, being sure to flip away from you to prevent oil splashing your skin. Cook the fish all the way through, about 2 minutes. (if you have a cake tester, stick it all the way through the thickest part of the filet. If you feel no resistance and the cake tester is warmed through when you pull it out, your fish is cooked.) Remove the skillet from the heat.
3. With the fish still in the skillet and off the heat, add lettuce to the saucepan of corn and beans, increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until the lettuce is soft and wilted, about a minute.
4. To serve, divide the vegetable and bean mixture among two plates and top each with a cod filet. Garnish with parsley, if you want to.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝