Just saying the WORDS "tater tots" gets everybody excited. Especially kids.
Also grown up kids.
But, convincing picky eaters to get down with vegetables can be a little, well...
The obvious solution is to turn VEGETABLES into TOTS. Everybody WINS.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need:
1. Cook the sweet potato by poking holes in it all over with a fork, then wrapping in a damp paper towel and microwaving on high for 6 minutes.
2. Put the oats in a food processor and pulse them until they're a coarse meal.
If you don't have a food processor, you can do this in a blender. You can also use oat flour, or breadcrumbs if you aren't gluten-free.
3. Coarsely chop the broccoli.
It's actually easier to do this when the broccoli is still slightly frozen, since it won't turn to mush.
4. Beat the two eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
5. Peel the sweet potato, and add it to the beaten egg.
6. Mash the sweet potato and egg together with a fork.
7. Add the pulsed oats, chopped broccoli, and grated parmesan.
8. Mix it up until it's thoroughly combined.
9. Use your hands to form about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into a tot shape.
10. Line 'em up on a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment.
11. Bake in a 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. They're done when they're golden brown.
Serve immediately. Ketchup optional. (Not really.)
Cheesy Sweet Potato Broccoli Tots
Makes 4 servings
Recipe by Christine Byrne, inspired by Gimme Delicious
¾ cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if you want)
1 medium sweet potato
1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli, thawed slightly, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork, then wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave on high until it's soft and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Let it cool for at least 2 minutes before peeling.
Pulse the oats in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment until they're a coarse meal.
Beat the eggs with a fork in a medium mixing bowl. Use your hands to peel the sweet potato, then discard the skin and add the sweet potato to the beaten eggs. Use the fork to mash the sweet potato and mix it with the eggs. Add the pulsed oats, chopped broccoli, and grated cheese, and mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
Use your hands to form about 1 ½ tablespoons of the mixture into a tot shape. Repeat until all the tots are formed, lining them up on the parchment-lined baking sheet as you go.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
Let them cool slightly, then serve.