Here are the ingredients you will need:
1. Fry the cumin seeds and Sichuan peppercorns in oil until they’re golden brown.
2. Add the sliced red onion and garlic and cook, stirring often.
3. In about 10 minutes, the onion will be soft and starting to brown. Add the cubed potatoes and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are soft on the outside, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the soaked black-eyed peas, salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and red chile powder, stir, and cook until the spices are fragrant.
5. Add the bamboo shoots, stir, and cook until the bamboo is very soft, about 5 more minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes then pour in a cup of water. Stir and cook until the potatoes and beans are very soft and the tomatoes are breaking down.
7. Transfer the finished dish to a warm serving bowl.
Potatoes with Black-Eyed Peas and Bamboo Shoots (Aloo Tama Bodi)
Recipe by Anup Kaphle
1 cup dried black-eyed peas
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
4 to 5 Sichuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
10 to 12 fenugreek seeds
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons red chile powder
2 cups fermented bamboo shoots (available at Asian grocery stores)
3 medium tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
1 cup water
Place the black-eyed peas in a bowl and cover them with water by at least an inch. Soak at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. Drain and set aside.
Heat the sunflower oil in a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sichuan pepper seeds and cumin seeds and fry until the cumin seeds are dark brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden brown and soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook over medium heat, uncovered and stirring often, until the potatoes start to soften, about 15 minutes. Stir in the soaked, drained black-eyed peas. Add the salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and red chile powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices are very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add the bamboo shoots, stirring again to mix, and cook until the shoots are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the 1 cup water, and stir. Cook, covered, over low heat until the potatoes and beans are very soft and the tomatoes are almost completely broken down, about 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the mixture sit, covered, for at least 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving bowl.