1. If you have an older version that doesn't come with a solid-state drive, GET ONE.
2. Avoid filling up your drive to full capacity.
3. Restore your laptop to its original state every year.
4. Use Disk Utility to check your computer for any damaged files.
5. RUN UPDATES.
6. Don't leave your charger on continuously.
Keeping your charger plugged in all the time kills your battery because you need to keep the electricity moving. Unplug it right as it reaches 100% and re-charge only when the battery gets low.
Also, if you're not going to be using your laptop for a long period of time, keep it 50% charged, because a full charge might decrease the battery's maximum cycle count.
7. Turn it off periodically to preserve battery life.
8. Determine your battery cycle count so you know when to replace it.
9. If you use heavy graphics programs, you may need to upgrade your memory (RAM).
10. To prevent Google Chrome from devouring your RAM, try adding OneTab, an extension that grays out inactive tabs.
11. Know and stay within its optimal temperature.
12. Empty your trash every day.
13. Clear your desktop or at least minimize its number of items.
14. Prolong the life of your charger by using it and wrapping it the right way.
There are so many ways to put strain that frail little cable. Learn how to treat it right here.
15. To prevent image persistence or burn-in, toggle with the display sleep settings.
These two issues involve images that faintly linger even after you minimize them or replace them. To keep this from happening, open Energy Saver from System Preferences and set the "display sleep" slider to 10-15 minutes on both the battery and the power adaptor tabs.
16. These silicone port plugs minimize damage from humid or dusty environments.
Buy them here.
17. This keyboard cover will protect your laptop from dust, dirt, and spills.
18. This ventilated case will keep your laptop free of scratches.
Available in multiple colors here.
19. This sleeve is keep your laptop protected whenever you're traveling.
The felt helps absorb shock and this sleeve's eco-friendly. Get it here.
20. A tilted laptop stand will help keep your laptop cool and also improve your posture.
21. And if you're going to work on your bed, this lap desk will save your Mac from an early roasted death.
Not only is it ventilated, but the bamboo material absorbs any remaining heat. Available here.