2. The method is done by hand painting the hair in sections on a large flat surface.
The client reclines back on the edge of a table and the hair gets fanned out for easy application.
3. To give you that super beautiful soft gradient effect.
According to creator KL Christoffersen, the term “fluid hair painting” reflects the final result of the hair after it drops down. “Because the hair is over directed during the application process, it collapses into a fluid color gradient when styled,” she told BuzzFeed.
4. It’s a more controlled technique than balayage but a less severe look than foil highlights.
“Visually speaking, this is an exciting process to create and watch,” said KL. “What I love about using this technique is that the final results are endless – from mimicking sun-kissed baby highlights to creating a multi-colored rainbow explosion. It’s really quite versatile!”
5. KL’s fluid hair painting method is seriously starting to take off all over the world. It has been spotted in Sweden…
7. And Canada.
“It’s been fun to connect with other stylists who have been searching for something different to use in their craft, and I’ve loved connecting with colorists from all over the world!” said KL. “Even though we don’t speak the same language, we can connect through our art. Of course there are those who hate on it, but I challenge them to at least try it for themselves to see the results.”
10. Fluid hair painting might be your new go-to technique.
11. But remember, even though it looks easy, it takes a skilled professional to paint hair by hand.
“I highly recommend NOT trying this at home,” said KL. “It looks like it would be easy, but there’s a lot of intention behind each brush stroke. It’s not just laying down and slapping color on the hair. You should definitely see a licensed professional for this method.”
KL trained her stylists on this method at her Cheeky Strut salon.
12. So, do you think hair colorists will hop on this hair dyeing method?
“I think it will encourage stylists to think outside of the box–to analyze their tools and application methods,” said KL. “And to empower them to explore different ways of doing hair.”
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈