1. Kanzi Understands Spoken Language
In this clip, Primatologist Sue Savage-Rumbaugh holds head-phones to Kanzi’s ears, playing a recording of a word that corresponds to an item on Kanzi’s Lexigram board.
Sue cannot hear the words that are being read to Kanzi, so she checks an ordered set of cards to confirm that Kanzi has pressed the right button.
2. Kanzi and Novel Sentences
In this exercise, Sue holds a welder’s mask to her face so that she can’t give any obvious nonverbal clues as to what objects she’s referring.
Kanzi seems to demonstrate an understanding of a wide range of nouns, verbs, and their relationships sufficient to carry out requests given in new phrases he may not have heard before.
3. Kanzi’s Sister Panbanisha Understands Language
4. Kanzi The Toolmaker
Kanzi demonstrates his ability to make stone tools, a skill that he learned by observing human researchers.
5. Bonobos: Language Recognition, Play
clip from the BBC Documentary Chimps Are People Too
6. Kanzi Talks To Lisa Ling On Oprah
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦