WASHINGTON — A multimedia ad campaign pushing a bipartisan message of support for marriage equality is set to launch Wednesday, a $1 million effort of the Respect for Marriage Coalition — a combined group of LGBT, other civil rights and labor organizations.
“None of us would want to be told we can’t marry the person we love. That’s why a growing majority of Americans believe it’s time to allow marriage for gay and lesbian couples,” the Respect for Marriage Coalition’s new television ad begins.
It then goes on to show a bipartisan group of national political figures — former First Lady Laura Bush, former Secretary of Defense Colin Powell, former Vice President Dick Cheney and, finally, President Barack Obama — stating their support for the right of same-sex couples to marry.
A narrator concludes, “It’s time for marriage.”
In a news release announcing the ad, the coalition — which is led by the Human Rights Campaign and Freedom to Marry — states, “Against the backdrop of President Obama’s historic comments about marriage rights in his inaugural address, freedom to marry legislation pending in a number of states, and two landmark marriage cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Coalition is working to grow support for marriage rights for same-sex couples across the nation.”
The national ad will begin airing Wednesday on cable, as well as airing during the Sunday news shows in the coming weeks, according to the coalition.
A print and online campaign will go along with the TV ad, according to the coalition, with a full-page ad to be published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post in the coming days.
4. The Coalition’s Newspaper Ad:
6. Marriage Equality Supporters Highlighted In New Ad:
- Turkey has become a magnet for violence. The country has suffered 434 terror attacks in the last year.
- Since Britain's vote to leave the EU, a series of xenophobic attacks against minority groups in public and online has stunned the country.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸