We asked the BuzzFeed Community about the best advice for how to save time, money, and space and have an epic backpacking trip. Here's what they said.
1. Research the environment in advance.
2. And the culture, too.
3. Don't be afraid to travel alone.
4. Be careful not to overstuff your itinerary.
5. Budget for an emergency fund.
6. Make sure your phone is travel-ready.
7. Look into all your transport options.
8. And make sure a cheap plane ticket is actually the best option for your budget.
9. Stick with a carry-on-sized bag.
11. Factor in comfort when buying your bag.
12. Get some handy organisation tools.
13. Avoid overpacking.
Don't pack for every eventuality, otherwise you'll be carrying around 60 pounds worth of gear for a month. Take comfortable clothes (forget fashion) and your basic everyday items. If you decide to go on a hike but it's not until day 30, you don't want to be lugging around hiking boots for 30 days before the hike.
Submitted by Jeremy Thompson, Facebook
14. In fact, just cut your packing list in half.
15. Stock up on napkins and wet wipes.
16. Duct tape is essential.
17. And fishing line is super helpful, too.
18. Pack a few plastic bags.
19. Bring a pair of extra shoelaces.
20. Carry a sturdy water bottle.
21. Pack a couple of shower curtain liners.
22. Invest in a sarong.
23. Ditch your make-up.
24. And your hair care.
25. Or collect small sample-sized cosmetics.
26. Invest in a menstrual cup.
27. If you're hostelling, swap a sleeping bag for a thin and light duvet cover.
28. Take an inflatable pillow.
29. Get a Scrubba for washing on the go.
30. Be a minimalist.
31. Be as organised as possible while travelling.
32. Take care of your feet.
33. Opt for minimalist souvenirs.
34. Line your pack with bin bags when it rains.
35. Be flexible.
36. Make use of free tours.
37. Step out of your comfort zone.
38. Cut yourself some slack.
39. And follow your heart.
These submissions have been edited for length and clarity.