We recently asked the Londoners of the BuzzFeed Community what advice they'd give to tourists. Here's what they said:
1. You can get the Shard view for less.
2. Regular double deckers can be just as good as bus tours.
3. Not all fish and chips are made equal.
4. Skip the London Eye and go to the top of One New Change instead.
5. And check out all the great views beyond central London.
6. Try your local pub.
Avoid the restaurants right near touristy things. They are generally overpriced and you can get much better food at the tiny pub around the corner from your hotel.
7. Think before you take a rickshaw.
8. Walk as much as you can.
9. Check out hidden gems like Maltby Street Market.
10. Or St Christopher's Place.
11. Replace Westminster Abbey with a trip to St Bartholomew's.
13. There's good theatre beyond the West End.
14. Don't miss the Sky Garden.
15. Greenwich may be out of your way, but it's worth it.
16. Respect the locals.
These submissions have been edited for length and clarity.