2. And then all of the sudden you’re like, HOLY CRAP A SPLASH AND IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND WHAT THE HELL!
3. Then a gray mass comes out of nowhere again (except not really nowhere because you are in his territory so back off).
4. And nothing is left behind but a big ol’ whale footprint…
5. …until he’s back 15 minutes later and it’s kind of terrifying but also exhilarating because you’re seeing a giant.
7. But once he slips under what is he doing?? Playing?? Just breathin’? Just being his whale self?
8. Luckily, we had a few experts on board to explain to us what the hell was going on down there.
On the left is Paul Atkins, cinematographer for Nat Geo WILD special WILD Hawaii and on the right, humpback whale expert, Joseph Mobley. The special premieres March 23 at 8 p.m. ET.
11. We were actually witnessing a “heat run” where a mama whale and her calf are just hanging out, migrating, ya know, the usual, and she is accompanied by an escort.
13. Behind the duo is a line of other whales just biding for their chance to take the escort’s spot.
14. So, while cool to us, this is actually a whale showing off his bravado to the other whales and the hot WMILF*.
*Whale version of “MILF” obviously
17. …BOOM! This one probably really wanted to be the escort du jour.
19. “I have seen whales strike another whale so hard that it literally lifts the other’s body out of the water!”
Joseph cited this amazing instance as well as several others. Basically, they have tons of moves: Ramming one another (called “strikes”), aggressive-sounding blows, and even inflating their throats so their body appears larger.
20. Personally, I wanted to know if the female had a say in any of this, but even the top experts are still trying to decipher the subtle signals of the female.
My guess is the males DGAF ‘cause, ugh, men.
22. Joseph said that when the female gets sick of the men (WHO CAN BLAME HER?), she will hide under a boat to avoid them.
Taking hiding from an unwelcome suitor at a dating event to a whole new level here.
23. So next time you’re lucky enough to see these giants…
25. Probs very similar to this:
26. SEE YA LATER!
- Donald Trump, who wrote a book about his ability to get deals done, lost in his highest stakes negotiation yet — the battered GOP health care bill.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃