The 37 Happiest Things You See While Running A Marathon
Whether you're an old pro, running for the first time, or cheering from the sidelines, one thing's for sure: a marathon is full of magical moments of human triumph. And sweat and tears. Sometimes lots of tears.
1. The starting line, where between the nerves, music and cheers, you feel like you can fly.
2. Inspirational sportsmanship
3. All the motivational signs, even if they're not for you specifically.
4. Kids holding timely signs.
5. OMG down hill.
Until you remember you'll have to go back UP at some point.
6. Someone running for a cause.
7. The support of the other runners.
8. People showing their patriotism by holding their flag high the ENTIRE time.
9. Runners showing their support of a united world by holding MULTIPLE flags throughout the race.
10. Or runners willing to hold up anything throughout the marathon even though there's no reason to make it harder on yourself.
11. People running with a sense of humor.
12. If you're on a route that loops back, seeing the first runner to lap you.
13. The police officers who not only are there to protect you but to support you.
14. Support from bad-asses.
15. Kids cheering you on...
16. Every time you see another mile marker, confirming that you have one less mile of pain ahead of you.
Especially ones complete with bands.
17. If you're lucky, Fauja Singh, 101-year-old marathon runner.
18. Runners running with their kids.
19. Kids pushing through.
20. Runners finding creative ways to pass the time.
21. This glorious oasis of gatorade and water.
22. And the volunteers handing them out.
23. Because this relief is extreme and unbelievable.
24. Almost as unbelievable as these meccas of relief.
25. A penguin?
27. Someone who has beaten the odds and is kicking ass.
28. Your fellow runners who remind you that you're all in this together.
29. Supporters lending their super powers on your last mile!
30. THIS MILE MARKER!!!
31. Triumphs of love.
32. More triumphs of love.
33. This beautiful sign.
Nothing more glorious.
Even if you think your arms can't move anymore, this pose is automatic.
BECAUSE YOU ARE A CHAMPION.
34. Oh, and then there's the snacks at the finish line
(If you're not throwing up)