1. Then: You'd ask for a toy you'd play with, like, one time and then immediately throw out.
Now: You ask for stuff you'll use, like, every day.
2. Then: Your list looked like this.
Now: Your list looks like this.
3. Then: You asked for a bunch of different things.
Now: You ask for a bunch of the same thing.
4. Then: You'd ask for things that'd make you happy.
Now: You ask for things that will make the home happy.
5. Then: Your parents generally understood what you were asking for.
Now: There are some things you ask for that you can't explain to them without also explaining the entire internet.
6. Then: Your list was basically a scroll of items.
Now: You kind of hope for a surprise, mostly because you don't feel like making a big list.
7. Then: You went for your own gift in the gift exchange.
Now: You go for the funniest gift at the gift exchange for a laugh.
8. Then: Getting gifts was the best part about the holidays.
Now: Giving gifts is the best part about the holidays.
Additional images by Getty Images