Spotify celebrated its fifth anniversary this week and, to celebrate, released an infographic highlighting some of the finer moments of the streaming music services career. But for all the impressive facts, one tidbit, buried in the post and confirmed by the Radio and Internet Newsletter, stands out among the rest: roughly 20 percent of Spotify’s song catalog — four million songs — haven’t been played a single time.
Now, that may sound high but if you’ve ever been hunting through the backwaters of Spotify’s music catalog, this makes a bit of sense. While top tracks get promotion through the site’s Discover tab and featured playlists, the service also hosts millions of peculiar sound effects, meditation tracks, instructional tapes, and songs from obscure, user-submitted artists.
4. Now, we can’t be sure, but we poked around and here are a few songs we think are good candidates for having never been played. If you’re feeling charitable, give them a click and let’s get that number down!
5. Finnolia Sound Effects - Aircraft Lavatory Ambience
6. Various Artists - Tortoise Mating Call
7. Wildlife - Animal Growling/Haunting Screams
8. Finnolia Sound Effects - Dailup Modem Dialing Connecting Connection Fails
9. Holistic Healing Library - Beat Racism
10. The Birthing Partners - Baby Pink Noise
11. Toriano Sanzone - Chapter 15-2 Doggie Yoga Maneuvers
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- Mexican music legend Juan Gabriel has died at 66. The singer was known for his mariachi tunes and ballads on love and heartbreak.
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝