1. 1. 5x as Likely to Win $10,000 in the Powerball Lottery (1 in 648,975.96)
Okay, not quite 5x as likely but close. If you’re a man who is fearful of the odds of coming across a woman who will accuse you of rape, consider that buying just one lottery ticket a year gets you closer to winning $10,000 than you’ll ever be in danger of the former.
2. 2. 750x Times More Likely to Die From Alcohol Poisoning (1 in 3,598.05)
The Center for Disease Control estimates there are 88,000 annual deaths from alcohol poisoning. Based on our projected current population of 314 million, the odds of dying from a way-too-fun night dramatically outweigh the odds of being falsely accused of rape.
3. 3. 11x More Likely to Be Killed by Asteroid or Comet (1 in 250,000)
Think a big hunk of space rock isn’t likely to kill you? You’re probably right, but that’s far more likely to happen than being falsely accused of rape. According to Prof. Stephen A. Nelson of Tulane University, you stand a 1 in 250,000 chance (lower limit: 1 in 3,000) of being killed by an asteroid or comet.
4. 4. 631x More Likely to Become an NFL Player (1 in 4,278.06)
Yes, you are more likely to play professional football than be falsely accused of rape. In 2013, there were 254 individuals selected in the NFL Draft and 1,086,627 boys played 11-man football in the US. Those numbers have been, more or less, similar for the past decade.
5. 5. Men 82,000x More Likely to Be Raped (1 in 33)
We end on a serious note. Because 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, men are 82,000x more likely to be raped than falsely accused of rape. It seems many of us would do well to pay more attention to how rape culture affects us all than be paranoid about false accusers.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Ivanka Trump was booed and hissed at when talking about her father's support for women and families at the W20 Summit in Berlin.
- Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn didn't properly discloser payments he received from Russia to the US government.
- Some Republicans are seeing the effects of climate change in areas they represent and want the party to rethink the issue.
- There's a good chance that you've handed over your personal information if you've ever downloaded a free app 🕵