1. 1. 5x as Likely to Win $10,000 in the Powerball Lottery (1 in 648,975.96)
Okay, not quite 5x as likely but close. If you’re a man who is fearful of the odds of coming across a woman who will accuse you of rape, consider that buying just one lottery ticket a year gets you closer to winning $10,000 than you’ll ever be in danger of the former.
2. 2. 750x Times More Likely to Die From Alcohol Poisoning (1 in 3,598.05)
The Center for Disease Control estimates there are 88,000 annual deaths from alcohol poisoning. Based on our projected current population of 314 million, the odds of dying from a way-too-fun night dramatically outweigh the odds of being falsely accused of rape.
3. 3. 11x More Likely to Be Killed by Asteroid or Comet (1 in 250,000)
Think a big hunk of space rock isn’t likely to kill you? You’re probably right, but that’s far more likely to happen than being falsely accused of rape. According to Prof. Stephen A. Nelson of Tulane University, you stand a 1 in 250,000 chance (lower limit: 1 in 3,000) of being killed by an asteroid or comet.
4. 4. 631x More Likely to Become an NFL Player (1 in 4,278.06)
Yes, you are more likely to play professional football than be falsely accused of rape. In 2013, there were 254 individuals selected in the NFL Draft and 1,086,627 boys played 11-man football in the US. Those numbers have been, more or less, similar for the past decade.
5. 5. Men 82,000x More Likely to Be Raped (1 in 33)
We end on a serious note. Because 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, men are 82,000x more likely to be raped than falsely accused of rape. It seems many of us would do well to pay more attention to how rape culture affects us all than be paranoid about false accusers.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- At least 11 people are dead and 69 hurt after explosions outside a stadium in Turkey, the country's health ministry says.
- Trump will reportedly pick ExxonMobil's CEO Rex Tillerson as secretary of state. He has a long history of oil deals with Russia.
- Gen. David Petraeus helped block the autopsy of an Afghan man who died mysteriously in US custody, emails show.
- People are in love with a dog who rides around in a decked out dog car spreading Christmas cheer to hospital patients 🐶🎄