We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A Skip Hop unicorn bag that'll add magical vibes to your toddler's #ootd with whimsical details like rainbow zipper pulls and a shiny horn.
P.S. check out the matching unicorn lunchbox too.
Promising review: "The BEST preschooler bookbag! LOVE IT! I went through three other book bags before I landed the right one. This one was the winner. I brought expensive ones that strap didn’t stay on the shoulder. Cheap ones that didn’t fit much with no water bottle compartment. This was more than right. I HIGHLY recommend this bag to every parent looking for a PRESCHOOL BAG. My daughter is in a full day 3PREK. LOVE IT! PROS: 1. Comfortable 2. Durable material 3. Spacious 4. Not heavy 5. Fits a lot 6. All compartments are large 7. Fashionable 8. Washable." —Louie
Get it from Amazon for $21.99 (available in 11 different animal styles).
2. Or a unicorn backpack bedazzled with glitter (don't worry parents, reviewers say the glitter doesn't fall off!) so the sassy kindergartener in your life can strut into their classroom with a little ~extra swagger.~
Promising review: "Got this for my 6-year-old daughter for kindergarten. It’s the perfect size to fit their folders, water bottle, jacket if need be etc... she loves it and kids and teacher have complimented it and asked where we got it. Very durable, none of the 'glitter' stuff has came off or caused any issues at all, I was worried by just looking at pictures. Would absolutely buy again! And we might buy another from this brand for next year!! ♥️" —Kelly C
Get it from Amazon for $39.99 (available in 11 styles).
3. A Champion backpack teens ~camo~ get enough of because it makes them look *too cool for school.* Reviewers also say it's sturdy and roomy enough to fit a Chromebook and several textbooks.
Promising review: "Perfect for my high schooler. My son carried one of these bags all year his junior year and it help up great. It worked so good that I’ve just bought a different color for his senior year. His bags often break before the year is over but not this one. He carried his computer in it safely and the straps were comfortable for him. I used to love Champion products back in the day and I’m glad that my son likes the brand now." —C. Wallace
Get it from Amazon for $25.95+ (available in 11 colors and prints).
4. A Cat & Jack rainbow dinosaur backpack complete with a hanging plushie that'll have all their classmates *rawwring* in appreciation over their ~dino-mite~ style. Not to mention, parents will appreciate the chest clip to keep the straps from falling off their shoulders.
Promising review: "I got these backpacks for my twins that LOVE dinosaurs and I love that it’s gender neutral with the rainbow dinosaurs because little girls love dinosaurs too. The little stuffed dinosaur keychain is the cutest and my twins loved that most of all. It’s well made and has lots of pockets as well as a water bottle holder on BOTH sides." —GirlMama4
Get it from Target for $19.99 (available in six prints).
5. Or a unique handmade dinosaur backpack because what kiddo won't be obsessed with having a grinning dino carry their school supplies? Added bonus: It's made with a velvet-like fabric that reviewer say is super sofffft.
Muni Shop is a small biz based in Vilnius, Lithuania that specializes in handmade accessories inspired by nature.
Promising review: "Such an awesome bag! Very unique, stylish and fantastic quality. Perfect for my 4-year-old son. Loved the dinosaur bag and highly recommended!!" –Stephanie Martinez
6. A on-trend galaxy backpack because any astronomy enthusiast will be ~over the moon~ about it. The colors are so vibrant IRL, they'll make any outfit look out of this world.
Promising review: "Ordered this for my daughter who’s 10 for the upcoming school year. For the price the quality is amazing. The pictures do not do it justice. The actual backpack is pretty and vibrant! She loves it as do I! The feel of the backpack is nice too and it’s roomy enough for pretty much anything you need for school! Her laptop fits as well as books, binder, and pencil bag. I will definitely be ordering from this seller again! Not sure as to the durability as of now, but it seems to look like it will hold up very well! It’s a strong well made backpack that’s lightweight and pretty!" —Tiffany Best
Promising review: "I’ve had this bag since 2016, that was second semester of my junior year of high school. I’m still using it in my second semester of college. Let me tell y’all this thing can take a beating pretty well. I have 16 credit hours worth of books I lug around in it. The laptop sleeve is great too, however I keep my laptop in a sleeve so when I put it in that sleeve it’s double protected. All the colors look as vibrant as the pictures and haven’t faded at all since I’ve had it." —Danni Jenkins
Get it from Amazon for $27.99 (available in 23 prints).
7. A Fortnite backpack that'll basically blow any Fortnite fan's mind and will have them *actually* looking forward to Mondays so they can make their besties jealous. (Reviewers say they were pleasantly surprised by the high quality of this book bag!)
Promising review: "Durable, and great design. I bought this for my 6-year-old, he is very rough on his stuff. This book bag was made for him lol. It has a laptop/tablet slot inside so it keeps his tablet safe and protected. It's big enough inside for school supplies/books. It's big enough for my high schooler too, so very roomy. Definitely worth the price! My son loves it." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $18.62+ (available in 9 styles).
8. A Fjallraven Kanken backpack with water-resistant material and ergonomic shoulder straps that's perfect for future valedictorians or travel influencers because it'll look equally chic accompanying them to tests or on adventures.
Promising review: "The day I received my Fjallraven Kanken I switched my school binders and laptop from my old tired north face backpack to my new Kanken. All of my school items fit perfectly in it. This backpack is the most ideal size for a college student. I can keep my laptop, binders, wallet, chunky graphing calculator, and a beanie or scarf in it. Even after walking all around campus my shoulders never ache or get sore. I would recommend this backpack to anyone interested in a functional and on trend backpack." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $64.98.
9. An Adidas rainbow backpack boasting a cheerful pop of color to perk up your kiddo's look *and* their mood to get them them through a rough school day. Plus, young environmentalists will love that it's made with with recycled content generated from waste.
Promising review: "Great Adidas quality, and adorable too. This is a great backpack. I got it for an average sized 8-year-old girl, and it fits her comfortably, and is a little bit big (which moms know is a good thing!), so she can use it for a few years. Big enough to hold her notebooks, binder, Chrome book, winter coat, and an extra pair of shoes without looking bulky. She loves it." —Kristen❤️
Get it from Amazon for $30 (available in 10 styles).
10. A 2-in-1 Bentgo backpack with a built-in insulated lunch bag so little ones don't have to cramp their style carrying a separate lunch box to school. Oh, and anything with a ~jawsome~ shark design gets an A+ in my book!
Promising review: "Excellent! I have at least four Bentgo bento boxes and a couple other brands for my 8-year-old daughter. This backpack is the perfect size for her tiny frame and works perfectly for her Bentgo boxes — all of them. The design is super cute and it is super functional! I put ice packs in the zipper mesh above the box and sometimes add a small ice pack inside the boxes. It has exceeded all of my expectations so far!" —PBT
Get it from Amazon for $34.99 (available in 12 prints).
12. A McDonald's backpack because, honestly, everyone's going to stop your kiddo in the hallway and ask "where did you get that?" Plus, reviewers swear this polyester bookbag is high-quality and actually very functional.
Wonky Everything is a small biz based in Singapore that specializes in unique bags.
Promising review: "This is literally this best bag I’ve ever owned, I’ve never gotten more compliments on anything ever. I got the McDonald’s one and there are pockets in side it and it looks so good! Love it" —MOXIEtheTIMID
13. A Pottery Barn dupe backpack so you can take a million photos of your preschooler (or elementary student) looking ~magically adorable~ toting it to school. Oh, and it'll keep your wallet happy.
Promising review: "My 3-year-old is so excited to have a new backpack for preschool and she loves the Minnie pattern and I love that it’s not the standard one every kid gets I think it’s the perfect size. On to buying matching accessories!" —Lisa
Get it from Amazon for $34.99 (available in two sizes and 35 colors).
15. A mermaid backpack in such a ~mer-mazing~ print your toddler will demand you buy the matching lunchbox too because they're particular about coordinating all their back to school gear!
Wildkin is a small biz based in Nashville, Tennessee that specializes in kids' school gear, travel gear, bedding, and playroom furniture.
Promising review: "Super sturdy awesome backpack for little kids. Perfect for preschool but would probably be good for early elementary school too. Like third grade and under. Holds a ton of stuff. We've used this for preschool but also trips and visits to theme parks and the zoo. Cuuuute prints. We have the mermaids one. Not uncomfortable for a kid or adult to wear." —JD
Promising review: "So much cuter in person!! Perfect size for kindergarten. The zipper pulls are big for little hands to grab. Love that the design flows onto the front of the straps and it’s not just solid black. Nice spot on the side to attach a lunchbox so it won’t be forgotten. UPDATE: Six months in and still going strong. Washes well, no tears, holding up better than my older daughters expensive Jansport." —MD P.
Get it from Amazon for $39.99 (available in 13 prints).
16. A Baby Yoda backpack that reviewers say — in addition to being heart-meltingly cute — is incredibly roomy and will hold all the important essentials your little scholar needs. May The Force be with your little one this school year!
17. A Spider-Man backpack because what kiddo won't feel like a superhero when their teacher compliments them on their ~Spidey fashion sense~? The best part? It's under $20.
Yoobi is a small biz based in Los Angeles that donates a school supply item to a child in need in the USA, each time you purchase a Yoobi product.
Promising review: "What a great looking backpack! We got this awesome Spidey backpack for my 10-year-old. I loved the price! He is so excited to put all his Yoobi Marvel school supplies inside it. It’s roomy and it looks great!" —Janean Rose
Get it from Target for $18.99.
18. A Disney Cars backpack that'll become any little Lighting McQueen fan's go-to accessory as they chant "I am speed" and challenge you to a race while walking to preschool.
Promising review: "My son loves his Lighting McQueen backpack. It fits him just right, he's a tall 3-year-old. He likes to take it to school and play with it in the sand. It's a great substitute for toys especially when he is not allowed to bring toys with him to school. He feels like Lighting McQueen is with him always. #1 fan" —JeremiahAZ
Get it from Target for $18.99.
19. A minimalist Herschel backpack if your high schooler's style mantra is "less is more." It'll pay for itself when it lasts for years and year (unlike some cheaper backpacks that tend to fall apart).
Promising review: "This backpack is perfect, and it is great quality. It has a laptop sleeve, water bottle side pockets, and the straps are cushioned so it helps when carrying all my heavy books. I go to school in Florida so I will say that when I wear a tank top, the straps are pretty scratchy and uncomfortable, but other than that, it's perfect. The backpack is also rather large lol i'm 5'3'' and its a little big for me. I ordered it in light pink and have gotten a lot of compliments on it as well. A little pricey, but I know it will last me a long time." —Sierra Leone
Get it from Amazon for $44.48 (available in four sizes and in 20 colors).
20. A chic personalized nylon backpack they'll proudly show off to all their classmates their first day back.
Glamorosa is a small biz based in Puyallup, Washington, owned by a mom of two, that specializes in unique items to help you stay organized.
Select the bag color and the number of patches from the dropdown menu, and then specify the letters and colors of letters you would like in the personalization box. Don't forget to add the placement of the letters!
Promising review: "This may be my favorite thing I’ve ever purchased on Etsy. I wanted a custom backpack for my daughter but didn’t feel like getting one of the busy potter barn ones everyone seemed to have. This is SO CUTE and AMAZING quality. I hope it lasts forever!" —Emily Shrader
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.