32 Toys You Still Have Time To Get That'll Make The Kids Put Down The iPad
Reviewers say these toys will keep your kiddos engaged for hours and cut down on screentime. I call that a win-win.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
What a year! The holidays are finally here! And while we’re doing our best to make sure the products we feature will arrive in time, shipping times are especially tricky this year, so we suggest shopping as early as you can.
Stock and shipping times can vary depending on where you live, which product you purchase, and more. So order earlier than you think you need to and be sure to double-check the retailers’ websites for shipping information to ensure that your gift will arrive in time for when you need it.
1. A Snap Circuits kit to give young engineers a hands-on intro to how electrical circuits work while they figure out how to assemble over 100 ~working~ circuit projects with 30+ electronic parts that snap together easily on the included plastic grid. (No tools needed!)
2. A wooden puzzle equivalent to playing Tetris but in tactile form that'll ~exercise their brain~ without any screentime.
3. And a wooden geoboard that comes with 35 pattern cards to challenge your child's dexterity and imagination while attempting to create shapes using rubber bands. Aaaand as they become more accomplished, they can even recreate the designs on the cards.
4. A sight word Bingo game; if you've ever asked yourself, "How do I take the frustration out of learning sight words and make it FUN?" then this game is for you.
5. A National Geographic geodes kit that'll blow any junior geologist's mind and give them an excuse to smash rocks with a hammer.
6. Otrio, a twist on the classic tic-tac-toe sure to become a game night favorite with all ages — from your 8-year-old nephew to Grandpa Joe.
7. A Lego movie activity kit to unleash any aspiring filmmaker's creativity. Prepare to be impressed when they get the hang of making short stop-motion videos (using their phone, tablet, or computer) in no time!
8. A marble run set for providing endless possibilities to build creative structures — all while developing their problem-solving skills. They'll be ~ah-mazed~ at the results when the marbles roll through the mazes they create.
9. And a Gravity Maze game to challenge kids to use spatial reasoning to solve the puzzles and figure out how to construct pathways to get the marble to drop to the final cube.
10. A pack of parachute toys ingeniously designed not to tangle despite being tossed excitedly from the top of the stairs or a balcony over and over.
11. And a Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza card game that'll have the whole family in tears from *belly laughing* so hard.
12. A Melissa & Doug activity book with a pair of safe scissors to channel their (*cough* destructive) energy into a creative activity that'll put their fine motor skills to the test.
14. An inexpensive Pop2Play foldable indoor slide because it LITERALLY pops up in minutes to instantly turn any room into a playground when it's raining outside. Plus, it folds down flat for easy storage once playtime's over.
15. A 360-degree-rotating 3-in-1 LED globe, constellation map, and night-light to make it possible to explore the world and stargaze from the bedroom.
16. And a beginner microscope STEM kit that gives off serious grown-up vibes and comes with a starter metal microscope and everything else a budding scientist needs to examine bugs, leaves, and fascinating world of nature around them.
17. An Air Hogs Super Soft Jump Fury, a beyond-cool remote car that jumps up to 22 inches high but lands super soft — meaning kiddos can show off its epic jumping action to make their buddies jealous without damaging walls or furniture.
18. A scratch paper art set for making you nostalgic for your childhood when nothing was more satisfying than drawing on the surface to reveal the rainbow colors underneath.
19. An affordable drone probably because most kids have been begging for one for months. This will *propel* you to instant fave status.
20. Banzai Bump N' Bounce Body Bumpers for impromptu battles in the yard or living room that'll elicit nonstop silliness and laughs.
21. A battery-free race track to put their fine motor skills to the test as they figure out how to get the car through the obstacles by using levers and buttons. The coolest part? There's a magnetic helicopter waiting to pick up the vehicles.
22. A Stomp Rocket launcher that'll teach the kids basic physics (without suspecting it!). They'll have such a *blast* as they jump on the launch pad, count down to liftoff, and watch the rockets soar up to 200 feet high.
23. A sink with a working faucet and ~real running water~ that'll get them way too excited about washing dishes. The best part? The toy dishes change color in warm water. (It might even teach them to help IRL).
24. A solar-powered DIY robot kit so young STEM enthusiasts can get the *gears* in their head turning as they build 12 different types of moving robots.
25. A Disney Princess necklace activity set with more than 30,000 5-star reviews (!!!) that'll make any child feel like true royalty.
26. An LCD writing tablet that'll encourage future Einsteins to practice their numbers and letters. They might even consider trading their iPad for this cool gadget.
27. A foam pogo jumper far safer that the good ol' pogo stick, with a sturdy foam base to stand on, so little hurricanes can burn off their energy hopping from room to room as grown-ups secretly wait their turn.
28. A flower-building activity set — a STEM-based toy (literally and figuratively) to make the imagination of horticultural enthusiasts blossom while creating bouquets and gardens.
29. A giant bubble wands kit for keeping kids and grown-ups *mesmerized* thanks to the two-handle wand that makes the most ~ginormous bubbles~ they've ever seen.
30. A Craft-tastic "Make a Fox Friend" kit so budding crafters can make an adorable fox stuffie along with glam accessories (while learning basic sewing skills!). They'll especially love changing their foxy friend's outfits over and over.
31. And a paintable squishies kit that comes with paint, glitter and the most adorable unicorn, rainbow, and narwhal — just asking to be bedazzled and squeezed.
32. A rainbow-colored saucer swing guaranteed to add a pop of color to any room and become the kiddo's fave ~hangout~ spot in the playroom or yard.
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.