1. Updated – Dec. 16, 8:55 a.m., ET
2. The “fake” sign language interpreter from Nelson Mandela’s memorial service, Thamsanqa Jantjie, said that he suffered from schizophrenia.
He claimed that during the memorial he had a schizophrenic attack, and that he was hallucinating during the ceremony.
“I’ve never raped anybody … I’ve never [done]… all of those things that they talked about,” said Jantjie.
USA Today reports that during a phone interview, Jantjie deflected questions regarding his alleged crimes, insisting that he only wanted to discuss Mandela’s memorial service on Tuesday.
6. A cousin and friends of Jantjie’s have said he has a criminal past.
The Associated Press
BREAKING: Cousin, friends of Mandela event signer say he was in group that burned 2 men to death in 2003.
8. Their report also revealed that he had faced various serious charges, including rape and murder.
Thamsanqa Jantjie, who is being treated for schizophrenia, has also faced rape (1994), theft (1995), housebreaking (1997), malicious damage to property (1998), murder, attempted murder and kidnapping (2003) charges.
9. Many of the charges were dropped as Jantjie was reportedly “mentally unfit to stand trial.” He was acquitted from the rape charge in 1994.
#FakeInterpreter Thami Jantjie has criminal conviction for theft from 1995. He was acquitted of rape in 1994. @eNCAnews
10. Jantjie was convicted of theft and was apparently sentenced to three years in prison, athough eNCA couldn’t determine whether he actually served his time in jail.
The empty court file concerning 2003 murder, attempted murder and kidnapping case against Jantjie and other people, was referred to the South Gauteng High Court in 2004. It was finalized in November 2006, but as the file is missing, the outcome of the case is indeterminable, according to eNCA.
11. eNCA say their report was complied in just 48 hours, which they say raises serious questions about the security arrangements of the funeral, as Jantjie was only feet away from members of the U.N., and various world leaders.
12. Jantjie has reportedly refused to comment on what happened to the case.
Jantjie refused to respond to claims he was declared unfit to stand trial on murder because of psychiatric problems. @eNCAnews
13. The South African governement has said it made a mistake in hiring Jantjie.
Phumla Williams, of the South African government communications office, said the government is investigating Jantjie.
The White House has not responded to questions about concerns over the safety of President Obama during the memorial service.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- Cuba is preparing to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23-year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂