1. Updated – 3:30 a.m. ET
3. Arsen Avakov, Ukraine’s new interior minister, said on Facebook, “I can only describe this as a military invasion and occupation.”
6. Reportedly the estimated 50 men at the airport were wearing the same uniforms to those who stormed local government buildings in Simferopol and raised the Russian flag.
10. Witnesses apparently told Interfax news agency the men with “Russian Navy ensigns” surrounded Simferopol Airport’s domestic terminal.
A volunteer helping the men named Vladimir has reportedly told Reuters that he said he did not know where the men came from, adding: “I’m with the People’s Militia of Crimea. We’re simple people, volunteers. We’re here at the airport to maintain order. We’ll meet the planes with a nice smile — the airport is working as normal.”
12. Apparently Russia’s Black Sea Fleet has denied blocking Belbek Airport in Sevastopol.
13. The AP reports the men have apparently apologized and left Simferopol Airport after no Ukrainian troops had landed at the airport.
Apparently the airport has “no comment,” on the situation but, as the the volunteer Vladimir told Reuters, the airport seems to be functioning normally.
- The White House continued to defend rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized recreational use.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at the Coachella festival, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while she's pregnant 🐝😭
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."