Uber Drivers Are Sharing Stories Of The Worst Passengers They've Ever Had, And Wow, These People Are Awful
Don't be one of these riders.
It's a blessing of modern transportation and technology that we can just tap on our phones and have a ride in minutes. But people can be awful, and getting into a stranger's car (especially drunk) can bring out the worst.
1. "For a laugh, they thought it'd be funny to pull the handbrake on the freeway while I was doing 100 km/h."
2. "My rating and comment: 1 star. 'Damn, girl — take a goddamn shower.'"
3. "I only give 1 star to people who give attitude or treat me like subhuman trash."
4. "A douchebag barfed in my car on an interstate where I couldn't even pull over. Wouldn't have mattered anyway, since he gave no warning. He was fine and talking, then, BROM! all over the window and the front passenger door. We had to sit there with that smell for 20 minutes on I-76."
5. "I drove Lyft for a few weeks to see what it was like. Only person I gave 1 star to was the drunk who felt the need to keep poking my shoulder to get my attention."
6. "Drunk guy gets in and I confirm the destination. He tells me that it's wrong and states where he is trying to go. I tell him that he can't change the destination on a pool ride, so he would have to cancel and reorder. He tries but in the end is too drunk to do it, so hands me his phone and asks me to handle it."
7. "I was taking some drunk guy home. He couldn't work his phone for the address right, so the destination was down the street from where he really needed to go. It's fine; just tell me the right address. He passes out two minutes into the drive, wakes up a couple of minutes from the destination, then inhale-snorts and hocks a fucking loogie on my floorboard."
8. "Sexually harassing other Lyft Line/UberPool passengers. This happened pretty frequently at night with drunk guys and women riding alone. I have no patience for people who think this behavior is acceptable."
9. "Guy gets in with his buddy, already bitching about Mexicans. Tries to rope me in, doesn't like it when I refuse. It was 2 a.m. and they were drunk. From there, it kept getting worse. He tried to hit on me, I refused. So obviously this means I'm, in his words, 'some kinda hermaphrodite.' Then, after repeated attempts to get under my skin failed, he decided to start waxing about the AR-15 in his truck he wanted to show me."
10. "Pretty much anything a passenger does to cause a driver to lose money earns them a 1-star rating. Passengers who aren't ready when I arrive, ask for me to wait mid-trip with no tip. Lots of 1s for asshole passengers..."
11. "A woman gets in my car shortly before the five-minute waiting time is up. Two-stop trip. First stop is two blocks from where my son goes to daycare, which also happens to be a neighborhood with a reputation for heavy drug use/drug sales. The woman gets out, spends some time going in and out of a car and 'transacting some business' with someone who was waiting around on the street."
12. "Bringing open alcohol into my car. Open container laws mean that you’re putting me in jeopardy of a DUI for driving sober and doing my job. Your desire for a road beer is totally not worth that consequence. I don’t care if 'the cops will totally understand.' They might not, and it’s not worth the risk."
13. "Had a passenger get in the car with a red Solo cup; I asked him to pour it out, since I said no alcohol in the car. We start to drive to a bar, and he starts hitching about me and the drive. And I say I will stop the ride. He screams at me, 'If you stop the car, I will kill you.'"
14. "Picked up a junkie; wasn't clearly spun out until he was in the car. Proceeded to mutter incessantly to himself about killing himself or other people, then how high he'll get at home."
15. "Some basic things that would earn you a low rating: taking the full five minutes to come out to the car without texting or calling me. I got paid 10–14 cents a minute."
16. "I'm not an Uber driver, but I always like to chat on the ride, so I got one driver talking about his worst experience. He said he had picked up two 21-ish-year-old guys from a bar in town who were belligerently drunk. Both of them were in full suits. All of a sudden, as the trip was about to be over, the guy in the front puked everywhere: on the window and carpet and in between seats."
Have you driven someone who takes the prize for Worst Passenger in the World? Let us know in the comments!
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.