Here Are 16 Stories About The Worst Neighbors Ever, And Now I Want To Send Mine Thank You Notes
"Took months to get him evicted."
Unless you live in the country, chances are you have to deal with a neighbor or two.
1. "We had some neighbors that used to leave their garbage out in plastic bags the night before garbage day — instead of putting it in a bin. Around here, that's just ringing the dinner bell for raccoons and other critters. Sure enough, come morning there's garbage strewn all over the neighborhood. What the raccoons and skunks didn't spread around, the wind picked up the slack. Some of the people on the street kindly approached the guy and asked him to put his garbage in a bin. He told them to go fuck themselves."
2. "Apartment building — the upstairs neighbor's dog peed on their patio, and it dripped down onto me while I was sitting outside reading. I yelled and ran to shower, and when I texted them to ask them to take their dog out to pee in future, they said it wasn’t their dog, and it must have blown over from somewhere else. What?"
3. "Lived in a small apartment, and my neighbors always cranked up their music to 11. Like loud, loud. And until something like 7 a.m. Maybe later, but that's when I would leave for work. It was so loud that I couldn't hear my own TV over it."
4. "When I was younger, our front neighbors stole our dog from our backyard one day, and we didn’t find out it was them until a few months later, when we saw our dog in their yard."
5. "The lady who lived below us had a son in college who came home for the summer. During that summer, he found a cat and brought it home. His mom said no cats inside, so he would feed the kitten outside. She was pretty wild. He left for school again in the fall, and we noticed that the cat was getting very thin. We started feeding her outside in her usual spot. Around Christmas, we bought a bag of cat food, and I made a plate of cookies and left them both at our neighbor's front door. The next day they were both back on our porch. Rude. Whatever."
"We continued to feed the cat because she obviously wasn't feeding her. A few weeks later, the cat came to our door crying. She was trying to come inside. Super weird considering she was pretty wild and we had never let her inside before. I let her in and noticed she was pregnant and for sure about to have babies. I made her a little corner, and she had babies the next day. We let her stay in the house with us, but we knew we couldn't keep her. I went downstairs to talk to our neighbor. She said that her son's cat was a boy, so the cat we had obviously wasn't his.
I posted on Facebook to see if anyone was interested in fostering a cat and her kittens because we couldn't keep her (we were moving within a week and couldn't have pets). Her son saw my post on Facebook and got SUPER mad at his mom. She then called the cops and said that I stole her cat and lied to her when she confronted me about having the cat in my possession.
It was the stupidest, most frustrating thing that had ever happened to me as far as neighbors go."
6. "I have a few from the same neighbor who I'll call Linda. Linda would often have men she locked outside the apartment building screaming her name. But the best story regards a boyfriend who Linda had insisted my roommate and I call, 'The Captain.'"
7. "When my wife and I moved into our house in the summer of 2019, the neighbors on either side of us warned us about the people renting the house directly behind ours. Apparently they had been known to cause trouble and blow things way out of proportion, bordering on paranoia of everyone around them."
8. "I used to live in a house that was split into two apartments. My neighbors had the lower half, and I learned we had issues with the HVAC when their cigarette smoke came visibly pouring out our registers; stank up everything we owned. Then one of them stole my car."
9. "I used to live in a horrible apartment with paper-thin walls. The people next door were a woman who looked like she was in her 70s and what I thought was her thirtysomething grandson. They would yell at each other all day, constantly blast their TV, and the smell of their cigarette smoke would waft through into my apartment and make the place absolutely reek."
"The worst was at night when the two of them would have loud sex (which is how I figured out they weren't related). Every night for an hour: Creaking bed banging against my bedroom wall, and the old woman moaning like a stuck pig. Nightmarish.
I also think the guy kept track of my schedule and watched for me because whenever I came home or went out, even when I took out the garbage, he would be there outside his place, trying to chitchat with me while staring at my body and being completely gross. Lived there a year, but it felt like 10."
10. "A kid would come put his face against the windows and make us play tag, but if we weren’t terrible at it he’d cry about it."
11. "When I started my first job post-college, I was thrilled to live by myself for the first time in my life. I had this beautiful one-bedroom apartment in a solid part of town. Everything was great until six months later, when new tenants moved in next to my unit. I had a package go missing (a phone case). Amazon had posted a photo of it at my door, so I thought that it was just a fluke. Then it happened again, and again, and again."
"The office wouldn’t accept packages, so I had to get my items delivered to friends’ places instead. Overall wildly inconvenient, and the police didn’t care in the slightest when I reported it, so I just figured I’d deal with it.
Fast-forward a few weeks, and I come home after being gone for less than an hour to see that my doorknob and front door were scraped up, and the knob was barely hanging on.
Long story short, I had been parking in plain view of this guy’s window, so he was able to tell when I was home. I am 100% convinced he tried to break into my place, and that me coming home early interrupted him. I googled his name after I moved (I got it off a package at his door) and found that he was a convicted felon with charges that include grand theft auto, domestic assault, drug dealing, and an attempted break-in."