1. When Cristina has an ectopic pregnancy and she loses her baby.
2. When two strangers get impaled by a pole and they find out only one of them can live.
And your tears are choking you and you can't breathe anymore because it's so unbelievably sad that these two human beings have to decide who is going to live and who is going to die. And then you have to take a deep breath because your tears are starting to mix with your wine and no one wants to see that.
3. When the homemade bomb kills the bomb-squad member.
And you're like, "No! Not Kyle Chandler! Kyle Chandler can't die! He's a good guy! He's Coach Taylor, for god's sake!" And then your mom is like, "You know that's not Coach Taylor, right?"
4. When Denny dies after his surgery and Izzie can't let go of him.
And you want to fall to the floor because your heart hurts so bad because her heart is breaking and you can feel it. And then your doorbell rings, but you can't get up because the person at the door is going to ask what's wrong and you don't want to see their face when you explain that you're crying over a fictional man's death.
5. When Meredith almost drowns and Derek saves her.
6. When the two paramedics are trapped in the crashed ambulance.
And you know that Stan is going to die because he keeps on asking for his wife and then his wife is there and they both obviously know he's going to die and you want to look away but you can't. And then you call your siblings to let them know that you love them, and they're like, "It's 3 a.m. — what's wrong with you?"
7. When Alex finds out that Izzie has cancer.
And you see the fear, panic, sadness, and helplessness take over his eyes and you want to grab him and hug him forever. And then you call your best friend to tell her that you'll be by her side no matter what, and she's like, "What?"
8. When Bailey spends her whole day holding a dying child.
9. When you realize George O'Malley is John Doe.
10. When Izzie almost dies.
11. When the gunman enters the hospital and kills Reed.
12. And when Alex is found bleeding out in the elevator.
13. And when Mandy Moore and Bailey hide from the shooter.
And you're hysterically crying while Mandy Moore's character is holding her breath and pretending she's dead and while Bailey is being pulled out from under the bed. And then you realize you don't know what's going on because your blanket somehow ended up over your face.