People Are Sharing The Best Advice They Have And It's So Wholesome
"Leave it better than you found it."
Every now and then, we need someone to give us some good advice.
Here is just some of the advice people wanted to share:
1. "Write it down and read it again tomorrow. See how crazy it sounds? That means you've calmed down and are able to think rationally."
2. "A large portion of your mental anguish is caused by an unrealistic belief that reality 'should be' different from what it actually is."
3. "Sometimes it isn’t worth it to argue; sometimes it’s better to stop fighting."
4. "People overestimate what they can get done in a day but underestimate what they can do in a week."
5. "Don't ever become a grumpy person who believes they know everything better than anyone else. Never stop being curious and never stop learning."
6. "Periodically ask yourself, 'What if I'm wrong?" — aka 'Am I the bad guy here?' — and genuinely consider that you might be."
7. "Get your finances in order, and live on a budget and with a plan."
8. "Do you want to be right, or do you want to win? Most often, digging your heels in and insisting that you're right (even if you are) is counterproductive to your long-term goals. Usually, being 'right' is about feeling intellectually/morally/socially superior to someone, not about changing their thoughts or behavior."
9. "Don't burn yourself out. It's alright to take a break sometimes."
10. "Leave it better than you found it."
11. "It's OK to ask for help. If someone makes you feel bad for asking for help, they are the asshole, not you. And if someone asks for your help, give it freely, knowing how difficult it can be."
12. "Think before talking."
13. "Be the type of person you want to meet. Be the type of friend you want to befriend. Be the type of partner you'd want to date."
14. "Don't value your successes by someone else's metric."
15. "Be generous with yourself. Life is long; you will make a lot of mistakes."
16. "Hearing a 'no' can hurt, but if you disqualify yourself up front, you’ll never experience the joy of hearing a 'yes.'"
17. "If you meet assholes once in a while, then that person is an asshole. If you meet an asshole every day, then you’re the asshole."
18. "Stop. Living. In. The. Future. I was living in the future for years and only this year managed to break free from that. Living in the present will make your life so much better."
19. "When you have overwhelming problems stressing you out, just focus on what YOU can do about it, and allow yourself not to beat yourself up any further about it. Define what YOU can do about it, realistically, and commit to doing that. And when that stress comes back up, you can remind yourself, 'You know what? I already know what I have to do: X, Y, and Z, and outside of that, it's just out of my hands.'"
20. "You might make it always a priority to take care of others first, but you have to remember to take care of yourself, too."
21. "Brush your teeth."
Now it’s your turn! What’s the BEST piece of advice you’ve ever gotten? Share yours in the comments below! And if you find that you’re in need of some more specific advice, check out our very own advice series here on BuzzFeed.com!
Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.