2. Stop and think: Will this matter a year from now?
Chances are that the stupid fight you’re having, the horrible haircut you just got, and that really stupid slip-up you made at work will all be distant memories by then. So, yes, you can freak out about them now, but try to keep a healthy dose of perspective about it all.
5. When it doubt, do something you’d be happy to humblebrag to mom and dad about.
Whether you’re dealing with a friend situation, dating issue, or work dilemma, just aim to do the right thing. And would-you-tell-your-mom-about-this is usually a pretty good measure for that.
9. Sometimes all you need to get through is today.
Literally do what you need to do to survive these 24 hours. Maybe you’ll feel better tomorrow. And if not, repeat step one. Here are some things you can do right now to feel better.
15. Stop spending more than your paycheck.
Dealing with debt sucks at every age, but if you can start forming good habits — like saving 10–20% of what you make each month, or at least paying more than the minimum payments on your credit card bills — you’ll save yourself a lot of stress in your thirties.
16. Stop putting off something that you’re not ~ready for~ yet.
Like figuring out what a 401(k) actually is, going on that international trip, purchasing property, whatever. You shouldn’t feel pressured to rush into anything, but if you’re putting something off for totally arbitrary reasons, why not get started?
17. Instead of worrying about getting old, get psyched about the process of becoming older.
First of all, you’re not getting old. You are getting oldER, which…yeah, that’s how time works. Still, complaining about how ~old and lame~ you are is neither productive nor fun.
20. Think of partying in terms of ROI (return on investment).
Partying is fun and great and something you should definitely do if you’re into that. One way to do that without going overboard: think about drinking/smoking/staying out all night in terms of ROI (return on investment).
If it seems like it’ll be 100% worth it tomorrow/a week from now/forever, then that’s probably a party you don’t want to miss. If the return is super low — like it might be kinda fun but you’ll also definitely be hungover for an important meeting tomorrow and probably bomb it — maybe sit this one out.
- At least 29 people are dead and 166 hurt after explosions outside a stadium in Turkey, the country's interior minister said.
- Trump will reportedly pick ExxonMobil's CEO Rex Tillerson as secretary of state. He has a long history of oil deals with Russia.
- Gen. David Petraeus helped block the autopsy of an Afghan man who died mysteriously in US custody, emails show.
- "Saturday Night Live" revealed Donald Trump's newest pick to lead the Drug Enforcement Agency: Walter White.