Here's What Alcohol Actually Does To Your Sex Life
Blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol.
There are lots of reasons why alcohol sometimes makes you want to take your clothes off.
1. Booze affects your brain, often making you less inhibited and more relaxed.
2. But despite what tequila might try to tell you, alcohol isn't actually an aphrodisiac.
3. One or two drinks might make you feel physically turned on.
4. But alcohol also makes it harder for your brain to connect the dots between your genitals getting touched and your mind feeling aroused.
5. Whiskey dick is very real, and it's not always all or nothing.
6. Booze can also make vaginal dryness an issue.
7. And having an orgasm can take forever after a few drinks...if it even happens at all.
8. Sex injuries are also more common when inebriated.
9. Alcohol can cloud your judgement when it comes to safe and consensual sex.
10. Even if alcohol generally makes you feel less anxious and more awesome during sex, it's important to keep an eye on your relationship between the two.
"Some people think sex is easier when they have a drink or two," Castellanos says. "They might have higher anxiety about sex or self-image or have difficulty relating to sexual partners. They drink alcohol because it numbs the central nervous system and the anxious part of their brain."
The problem arises when you never deal with the root of that anxiety when sober and you continue to use alcohol as a crutch for sexual intimacy. You may also develop a tolerance and need more alcohol to dampen anxiety over time. If you're noticing this cycle in your own life, it would be wise to take a break from drinking and talk to a friend, family member, doctor, or therapist about what you're going through. "There are other ways to deal with your anxiety rather than squashing it with a few drinks," says Castellanos.