1. Two young boys suffered second- and third-degree burns while at day care in Vinita, Oklahoma, this weekend, and the Facebook photos of their injuries are going viral.
2. The boys’ mother, Shaunna Broadway, told BuzzFeed Life she picked up her sons, ages 5 and 7, from day care last Friday and found them crying in pain after they were badly sunburned while at a local water park.
“I dropped them off at Happiness Is a Learning Center at 9 a.m., and that day they were going to Splash Pad, a local water park,” Broadway told BuzzFeed Life.
“I got off work at 5 p.m. and went to pick them up, and they were clearly burned. [The employees] were actually making fun of my older son, because both boys got sunburns but he was being a ‘baby’ and crying about it,” she said.
3. The day care told Broadway that the staff didn’t have sunscreen at the water park and told the kids to keep their clothes on, but that Broadway’s sons didn’t listen.
“It was common sense that they shouldn’t have been out in the sun all day, even if they wore their clothes,” Broadway said. “The heat index was 118 degrees in Vinita that day. The news was telling us not to be outside.”
Broadway called the local hospital, but they said they couldn’t do much until the burns blistered.
“They told us to go to the pharmacy, where we got Silvadene cream and pain meds, but nothing seemed to help. They were in pain all night.”
4. By early Saturday morning, the burns began to blister and the boys were in excruciating pain.
“We took the boys to the local hospital on Saturday, where the doctors lanced the boils and blisters on their backs, applied cream, and sent us home with more pain medicine,” says Broadway. “But the boys kept screaming and crying all day. My oldest one’s chest started hurting and he said he was having trouble breathing.”
The next day, Broadway took the boys to Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for a third opinion. “Apparently the swelling and pain on his back was so bad that he was having pressure on his chest.”
6. WARNING: These photos are extremely graphic pictures of second- and third-degree burns.
“The white stuff is Silvadene cream,” Broadway explained. “What you can’t see is that there are a bunch of tiny blisters forming on his skin underneath the cream, which is why it looks like that.”
8. The family filed a report with the local police department on Sunday and are in the process of finding an attorney.
“We are investigating the criminal element of neglect with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services,” Officer Bobby Floyd told BuzzFeed Life. “We’ve been conducting interviews at the day care, the hospital, and with other parents to see if there’s anything that leads us to conclude it was neglect or child abuse.”
“It’s been confirmed that no other children were sunburned in this situation,” Floyd continued. “But we’re also looking at videos from the courthouse to see how long kids were left outside, and exhausting all resources to see what happened and hopefully get justice for these boys.”
9. Broadway said that she had already been planning to pull the boys out from Happiness Is a Learning Center.
“There were things that made me very uneasy,” she says. “From picking them up dying of thirst because they didn’t have anything to drink all day or staff talking to them badly…it wasn’t anything serious enough to call the cops but I was definitely thinking of pulling them out.”
When reached by a reporter, the day care said there was no one available for comment.
10. The boys are currently being treated at Shriners until they become stable enough to return home.
“Their wounds are being cleaned and the dead skin removed while they keep the boys heavily sedated,” Broadway said. “They’re getting better but it’s definitely taking time and it’s been really hard seeing them in so much pain and not sleeping…it’s a lot for a mom right now.”
11. “My kids need a voice — I’m that voice, and I just want justice for them,” their mom added. “And I don’t want this to ever happen to anyone else.”
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦